V. Sols 21-31

Sol 21

EXT. HAB - DAY

Mark collected the pile of silver bags and carried them inside.

INT. HAB - DAY

Mark and Darcie stood in the kitchen, surrounded by silver bags. He filled a large container with water from the Reclaimer. He dumped in the contents of the compost bin.

He stared at the bags with a displeased expression.

Mackenzie grimaced and said, "God, Chris, the things I'm doing to get back to you. I hope I get back to you..."

The two tore open a bag and dumped the contents into the bin. They tore open another bag. As they did so, Mark started to gag and Darcie nearly threw up, but managed to keep it down.

Sol 24

Mark and Darcie scooped Martian dirt into a container with a small shovel. He carried the container to the airlock while Mackenzie followed.

INT. HAB - DAY

Mark and Darcie entered the Hab and the former dumped the container of dirt into a corner where they'd cleared an empty area.

Sol 25

INT. HAB - DAY

Mark entered with another container and dumped it on the pile of dirt.

Sol 28

INT. HAB - DAY

Mark and Darcie had spread the dirt over a third of the Hab floor. They stared at the compost bin like it was their nemesis.

Darcie grimaced as she said, "Chris, this is what it's come to to get back to you."

Mark chuckled lightly and took a deep breath as he opened the bin. He and Darcie, who also took a deep breath, began dumping it over the Martian dirt.

They let out a breath, as they needed air, and gagged.

Sol 31

INT. HAB - DAY

Mark and Darcie cut each potato into four quarters, making sure each quarter had at least two eyes.

They began planting each potato quarter in nice, orderly rows.

The entire Hab was covered with soil; from the floor to the table and everything in between.

---

Mark packed soil on top of one of his and Darcie's crew member's bunks. As he moved personal items aside, he found a data-stick. He held it up and looked at it.

---

Darcie was in Beck's room sitting on a chair. Though she missed him tremendously, it strangely helped better her mood when she sat in his room and took some time to herself.

She picked up a picture of her husband holding their son shortly after Weston had been born. She had fallen asleep from her exhaustion and Chris was holding their newborn son, smiling softly at him.

Darcie smiled sadly as she spoke to herself. "Darce, you're gonna get back to your boys. You have to."

She let out a sigh as she set the picture down and stood. With one last look and a sad smile, she blew a kiss before she left his room and made her way to the main part of the Hab.

---

Darcie noticed Mark holding something and pointed to it. "What is that?"

Mark held it up. "It's a data-stick. We can watch-" He cut himself off, noticing her expression. "Are you okay?"

She nodded slowly, then shook her head. "Do you realize we've been up here a month?" That's how long the mission with our crew was supposed to be. We'd all be leaving together today. And we're stuck here while they're on their way home. What if I never see my son again?"

"Darcie, we're gonna get home."

"How do you know?"

"I don't know, but I'm hoping. If I don't-" He shook the data-stick and smiled. "You wanna watch whatever's on here?"

"Sure."

Mark chuckled and plugged the data-stick into the computer. It contained old episodes of 70s television.

Mark and Darcie sat watching Happy Days, trying not to think about their current situation.