Chapter 21

Her legs were heavy as they carried her to her dorm so she could bathe and change into a clean uniform. The eyes of the other students lingered on her as they passed, mostly headed in the opposite direction, but Lily was grateful that they didn't say anything to her or those they were with about her. 

Sophie wasn't there when she arrived. Probably at breakfast... 

30 minutes later clean and more presentable she made her way towards Abilities Class. She was glad she didn't dawdle getting ready because as she closed her dorm door on her way out, the first bell for class sounded. 

Luckily most of the school had dispersed from the dining hall earlier leaving the pathway towards the staircase, and the corridor beyond it peacefully clear. 

Her footsteps fell in an even bravado against the stone floor.

Was it just this morning that she was a leopard? It seemed odd to her because she didn't feel any different... And yet.. she wasn't sure if that was true. 

At the thought, the power within her seemed to writhe, as if preparing to shift again. But she focused on her breathing like she'd been taught in Energy control. 

She felt like she might need to defend herself at any moment also. Expecting an attack? Maybe because of yesterday. Maybe just because things felt so different now... 

Her stomach seemed to offer a grudging sound. Maybe she should have tried to get something for breakfast. And yet, she hadn't felt ready to face the school. Would she be ready by lunch?

She felt a new interest in her abilities class. As if it was suddenly made more relevant. 

She couldn't be sure if it was a good thing this class only had fifteen students. Maybe because it was smaller, there wouldn't be gossip?

There were fewer students in the class today. After a quick count, it seemed like at least seven were missing including Ryan.

Mrs. Harristone didn't say anything apart from, "Good morning dear," as she passed. And she could feel crushing relief. This would be ok.

As she sunk into a comforting couch nearest the window, she felt many emotions. Despite the missing students, there was a sense of normalcy about it. She was just sitting here in class. there's no monster chasing her down...

'Don't jinx it,' said a familiar quiet voice in her head. She found herself smiling. Something she hadn't expected in the least bit. 

She wondered briefly if the voice was her leopard form somehow talking to her. But she quickly dismissed the idea. It didn't seem fitting. 

Between the relief of the comfort of sitting down on a plush sofa... she felt a sense of unexpected safety. She felt more than that too though. She felt a contentment almost. She felt like she belonged. And it was a feeling that she didn't realize she'd been missing for so many years.

Sure there might be gossip later, and she didn't know what Anne might say. She didn't know if she'd be in trouble for missing General Agility... 

But for the moment at least, she felt ok. Good even. 

The professor's voice was gentle and relaxing. She listened and took some notes... but more than anything she felt like she needed to rest and give herself time to calm down. 

It seemed like shifting into her animal form had caused some kind of shock to her system. Understandably. And now.. now maybe she could give herself time to not only acclimate to the new situation but also to redefine her reality. 

Everything had changed so much. The colors looked different... more distinct somehow. And the smells were intense. Not just the smells in the air, but where they were coming from, and from how long ago... Was this how others saw things all the time? 

It seemed like.. for today at least, she could slack off on the schoolwork. It was ok that she was only half listening when she needed other more important things. Like time to rest, and adapt. 

Things like trying to prepare for the next challenge to come. Aka, lunch, and the rest of the students. Would Anne be mad at her? And where were the seven missing students? Was it just this class they were missing, or had they somehow left the school? 

Copyrighted material

Copyrighted material. All rights reserved.