Chapter 5

I went back to my room to put on the beige uniform before dinner. The servant's pale yellow wouldn't help to blend in at all. The material of the new uniform was stiff and lighter than my old clothing. I wondered if it was shifter material. Most pack clothing was I've heard. It allowed them to shift without removing the clothing, instead, the shift triggered the clothing to be stored in the void beyond this world until they shifted back.

The new clothing felt odd against my legs as I walked. I peeked around corners before going forward. I was worried one of the orphans would see me. I'm not sure why really. Just that it'd be easier to explain things tonight.

"It'll be ok," I said to myself once I got to the door of the dining hall. 

The light beige of my new clothing stood out like the bright harvest moon in the darkest night sky. But despite my anxiety from before, no one stared really. They glanced up as I passed, but there were no hateful comments at least. 

Meals at the pack house were nearly always a self-service buffet. I followed in line down the buffet tables piling my plate high with a little bit of everything. All kinds of meats. Mashed potatoes, pasta, stir fry, jello, pastries, and dinner rolls. 

Despite my unease about tomorrow I couldn't help but feel euphoric. The food was incredible. The orphan's dining area didn't offer food like this. Unflavored porridge, hard-boiled eggs, and salads were the norm on most days. 

I couldn't suppress my laugh as I looked around the space. All of these pack members here think a meal like this is run off the mill. An everyday occurrence, and thus, something they took for granted.

But to me.. to me it was an incredible feast. I went back for seconds and managed to snag the remaining dinner rolls for later. I got a slice of chocolate cake also. Sure, it was against the rules. But no one seemed to care that much. And I'd be gone tomorrow anyway. 

The room looked a bit smaller with all the orphans there. Most wore their sleeping clothes like me, but some were still in their yellow work clothes. 

I started a movie as everyone settled in. Because so many were still young kids there was plenty of space on the bed and chairs. Some were taking turns trying out the bathtub.

I smiled to see the happiness on their faces. I wish I could give them more. 

I sat in the corner with the second two eldest of the group. 

"You're in the pack now?" said Sauti, who knew that a situation like this didn't come without loss. "Were you able to shift then? I didn't think anyone shifted for the first time after the age of 15."

"What's going to happen?" said Paul.

I told them about the situation. Told them about being in the pack, but only for a day because I would be leaving tomorrow. I avoided their looks of sadness. I didn't have a choice but to go. 

"What will we do without you Lily?" said Sauti.

"You'll be strong," I said with a smile. "You'll do the best you can."

They smiled in a sad kind of way. There was laughter from the movie in the background. Everything was so surreal. I thought about telling them about my fears of the unknown of tomorrow, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. I couldn't show them my fear when we all needed to be strong now and work to adapt to the changes.

"Do you guys know anything about this school?" I said instead.

"I've heard it's elite," said Paul. "I've only heard of high-ranking males going before now."

I laughed with relief. At least it's not some kind of slaughterhouse like my mind had been inventing. "That's good to know. I bet they need me to go do chores there. I hope the servant rooms are bigger at least."

We talked as the night got late and the movie finished. I wondered if this would be the last time I would talk to them. I focused on so many details. The way Sauti's uniform hung in such a worn and tired way after the day's work. I thought about how it felt to be with them. The warmth of their presence. 

"It'll be ok," I found myself telling them. But I couldn't be sure if I was saying that to them or me. Tomorrow was approaching fast.

"Sauti and I will shift in a year or two," said Paul. "We'll have the benefits of being part of the pack then, and then the situation for the orphans will get better."

"Don't worry about us Lily," said Sauti. 

"I'm not worried," I said. "You both do amazing."

It was time then for the raffle I made using another page from my journal. I made 19 squares with a unique number on each, and each orphan has a number based on age. 

I wouldn't be needing my slinky, putty, or yo-yo where I'd be going. I was happy to see them find such good homes. The putty to Genevieve, the yo-yo to Stephan, and the slinky to Amber who was 4th oldest after me.

The hardest part is saying goodbye. And yet... I'd come back someday. I don't know how, but I can't leave my family in this situation if there's anything I can do to change it.

"I won't forget you," I said as the last of them disappeared into the secret passageway, down the corridor, that would take them to their sleeping quarters. 

I was alone then with nothing to do but soak in the overlarge tub, and wonder about what tomorrow would hold.

Copyrighted material

Copyrighted material. All rights reserved.