XIV

FOURTEEN

FOURTEEN.

"Any chance we could get these venue tours to be a little later?" Vivienne spoke through a yawn, her hands shoved in the pockets of her pajama pants. While the rest of the band was somewhat presentable for the occasion, Vivienne still dawned an oversized grey sweatshirt and bedhead.

"It's 1 in the afternoon, kid," Ciarán mumbled, trying his best not to disturb the venue owner as he walked them through the backstage, explaining every room down to where the outlets were.

"Still could use some extra hours..." She huffed, arms crossed and feet planted on the fresh black-painted stage. Vivienne rolled her neck as the owner rambled on about the deep history of the stage lights, only egged on by Andrew's polite nodding at his every word. "Can he just tell the guy to shut up instead?"

"It's Andy, someone could stab him and he'd say thank you." Ciarán shook his head. "Any updates with him?"

"Not much. He's a bit peeved about me not taking a bow and leaving for the encore yesterday."

"And?"

"Told him to piss off about it." She shrugged. "I'd rather stay out of the spotlight and just do what I'm paid to: drum."

"You're paid to be a public figure, too," Ciarán remarked, earning a light scoff from the woman by his side.

"Christ, you sound like Gwen."

"I'm being serious. It's just what being on tour is, you've gotta put yourself out there a bit." Ciarán toyed with a mic stand as he spoke, the two now fully ignoring the owner as he now ranted about their amazing catering services. "You ever thought that maybe Andy is just trying to push you out of your comfort zone?"

"I'm aware he is, and I don't like it," Vivienne replied in a low tone as the group dispersed from the owner to check out the venue's amenities.

"Then tell him."

"What?"

"What do you mean 'what'?" Ciarán teased. "Have you lot never heard of communication?"

"It's not exactly something me and him do well." Vivienne scrunched her nose.

"I'm well aware." Ciarán chuckled. "But honestly, just pull up your boots and go talk to him. I'm sure he'd understand."

"If you say so..." Vivienne murmured, practically to herself as Ciarán pivoted to the snack table hidden behind the curtains. She took it upon herself to check out the venue herself, wandering the floor and pausing at the few things that caught her eye. The vintage art hung around the backstage, the dressing rooms plentiful enough to house each band member to their own, the extra drumsticks provided after Vivienne had split the tip of one of hers on the last show, and she was especially drawn to the display cases.

Shadowboxes lined the wall, filled with music memorabilia that made her brain buzz with excitement. Smashed guitars, famous performers' picks, she was especially drawn to the display of the drumsticks split in half, labeled as belonging to one of her favorite drummers of all time. Her eyes were filled with stars as she raised her hand-