16: Someone shut Octavian up

─────They didn't make it to the ship.

Halfway across the dock, three giant eagles descended in front of them. Each deposited a Roman commando in purple and denim with glittering gold armor, sword, and shield. The eagles flew away, and the Roman in the middle, who was scrawnier than the others, raised his visor.

"Surrender to Rome!" Octavian shrieked.

Hazel drew her cavalry sword and grumbled, "Fat chance, Octavian."

Vincent summoned his sword and said, "Suck my—"

Piper kicked him in the back of the knee which made him narrow his eyes at her (Who's side was she on?)

As if the meeting with Aphrodite wasn't enough to make Vincent's mind reel, now the oggy or whatever was here to ruin everything again.

By himself, the skinny eighteen year old wouldn't have bothered Vincent. After all, the last time they had met, Octavian had tried to run away screaming. Vincent winced remembering how Camp Jupiter had gone up in flames under them. 

The two other guys with Octavian looked like seasoned warriors and Vincent was sure he and Hazel could take them and leave the blond to be dealt with by Annabeth and Piper.

But they had already entered this fight with the Romans in violence. And Piper, as if sensing his reckless thoughts, flashed him a look. She raised her hands in a placating gesture. "Octavian, what happened at camp was a setup. We can explain."

"Can't hear you!" Octavian yelled. "Wax in our ears—standard procedure when battling evil sirens. Now, throw down your weapons and turn around slowly so I can bind your hands."

"Let me skewer him," Hazel muttered. "Please."

Vincent grinned, maybe Hazel was cooler than he first thought. He twirled his sword in his hand and looked at Annabeth, waiting for her signal.

The ship was only fifty feet away, but there was no sign of Coach Hedge on deck. He was probably below, watching his stupid martial arts programs. Jason's group wasn't due back until sunset, and Percy would be underwater, unaware of the invasion. If they could get on board, they could use the ballistae; but there was no way to get around these three Romans.

"Well?" Octavian demanded. His two friends brandished their swords.

Annabeth gave him a look which he couldn't translate for the life of him. She glared even harder as if that might make him understand her (it did not). 

"Try to skewer him" She groaned aloud, frustrated that Vincent couldn't read her mind. "We have no better options"

So Vincent and Hazel grinned, locking eyes before they charged. 

Octavian was pretty much all bark and no bite. The moment the two charged, he took about ten steps back and let his side kicks go to work. 

Vincent ducked, narrowly avoiding getting decapitated and struck with the pommel of his sword in the guy's stomach, causing him to groan. He grabbed the Roman's sword out of his hand and kicked with all his force to the guy's chest. 

He almost laughed out loud at how comical it was seeing the guy try to keep his balance on the dock before ultimately falling backward into the water. 

He turned to help Hazel, but she was holding her own. 

The only problem was Octavian himself who was doing little else except screeching about trying to arrest them and waving his arms around.