15: Tea party with the goddess of love

─────Leo docked the ship at a pier in Charleston Harbor, the next day, right next to the seawall. Along the shore was a historical district with tall mansions, palm trees, and wrought-iron fences. Antique cannons pointed at the water.

By the time Vincent came up on deck, Jason, Frank, and Leo had already left for the museum. According to Coach Hedge, they'd promised to be back by sunset. Usually, Vincent woke up even later than he did that day, but Annabeth had barged into Leo's room (how she knew Vincent slept there was beyond him) and threatened to throw boiling water on him if he didn't wake up. 

Piper and Hazel were ready to go, but Annabeth turned to Percy, who was leaning on the starboard rail, gazing over the bay.

She took his hand and Vincent, despite hating mornings, had to bite back a smile. The two of them were just so easy and cute with each other. 

He sipped on his now warm coffee and greeted the other two girls. "'Morning"

"Sleep well?" Piper raised an eyebrow. 

Vincent guessed she was trying to insinuate something, but it was too early to use his brain so he just shrugged. "Was alright. What about you, Hazel? I know you get sea sick... I can hear you all night"

Even that morning the poor girl looked terrible. Still, she waved off his concern, "I'm just glad we'll be going on solid land for once"

"I hear that" Vincent hummed as he took another sip, "I don't actually know how to swim so I'm afraid one day I'll fall over and Percy won't be near to save me"

"You do know I used to surf, right?" Piper said, "I'd save you any day"

"Great so if I fall in the sea you save me and if I fall overboard and in the air, your boyfriend can save me. Truly a power couple"

Vincent saw Annabeth kiss Percy and smile before walking over to them. 

She turned to Piper and Hazel. "Okay, guys. Let's find the ghost of the Battery."

─────At first, they had a pretty good time walking along the Battery. According to the signs, the seaside park was called White Point Gardens. The ocean breeze swept away the muggy heat of the summer afternoon, and it was pleasantly cool under the shade of the palmetto trees. Lining the road were old Civil War cannons and bronze statues of historical figures, which made Vincent shudder. He thought about the statues in New York City during the Titan War, which had come to life thanks to something Annabeth did to them. After that and the Doctor Who episode he had watched as a kid, Vincent hated statues. 

Charleston Harbor glittered in the sun. To the north and south, strips of land stretched out like arms enclosing the bay, and sitting in the mouth of the harbor, about a mile out, was an island with a stone fort. Vincent technically only had around fifth grade education, plus a few classes the Athena kids taught at camp, so he had no idea if the fort was important in the American Civil war.

Mostly, he breathed in the sea air and tried to enjoy the time with his friends. They turned away from the seawall and explored the inland side of the gardens.

The park wasn't crowded. Vincent imagined that most of the locals had gone on summer vacation, or were holed up at home taking a siesta. They strolled along South Battery Street, which was lined with four-story Colonial mansions. The brick walls were blanketed with ivy. The facades had soaring white columns like Roman temples. The front gardens were bursting with rosebushes, honeysuckle, and flowering bougainvillea. It looked like Demeter had set the timer on all the plants to grow several decades ago, then forgotten to come back and check on them.