Chapter 12- Friends

Aeri slipped out a few hours later, pausing the movie to answer a mysterious phone call. Winter sat with her phone in her hands, debating on whether or not to make a call of her own. She tapped her screen to her recent calls. The phone rang only twice before there was an answer.

"A phone call? This must be serious," Karina teased.

"Well, I didn't want to give you the chance to ignore me," Winter said.

"I could've just not answered," Karina said. "That's true, but a missed call is way more urgent than an unanswered text," Winter said.

"It is," Karina said. "So do you ever plan on telling me why you called?"

"Shut up," Winter said, chewing lightly on her bottom lip. "Anyway, I was thinking, now that we're friends again, wanna hang out tonight?"

"Okay," Karina said.

"Wow, I was not expecting that to be so easy," Winter laughed. "I thought for sure I was gonna have to fight you about it."

"Yeah, well, I'm trying to be less of an asshole, remember?" Karina asked.

"Right, right," Winter said. "So I guess I'll just come over?"

"Actually, we should probably go out," Karina said.

"Really? Why?" Winter asked.

"It's probably safer," Karina said, a moment's hesitation before she added "you know, considering I have that dilemma where I want to kiss you every time I see you."

"Right," Winter said, swallowing thickly. She was thankful Karina couldn't see her, because she could feel her cheeks heat up. "I'll meet you outside the dorm then?" She asked.

"When?" Karina asked.

"Twenty minutes?" Winter asked. "Okay, see you then," Karina said.

"Bye," Winter said as she hung up.

"So where are we going, anyway?" Winter asked after they had gotten a few blocks from the dorm.

"The bar, I figured," Karina said.

"Wow, you're ready to drink again already? I would've thought with that hangover you'd be steering clear of booze for a little while," Winter teased.

"No," Karina chuckled, "I'm not planning on drinking. You can though."

"Uh, no, I'm underage, remember?" Winter laughed.

"Shit, I completely forgot," Karina said, rubbing her forehead. "Bars are just easy, uh, but we could always go—"

"Why don't we just like, sit and talk?" Winter asked, pointing to a low retaining wall that ran along the inside of the sidewalk.

"Talk about what?" Karina asked.

"I don't know, life?" Winter laughed. "I know this might come as a shock, but I did actually miss talking to you these past couple weeks. I don't even know how finals went for you," she said as she took a seat.

"You don't care how finals went," Karina said with a smirk. She took a seat next to Winter.

"You're right, but that's only because I know you aced them all. I mean, shit, you better have considering all the extra time you had to study without me interrupting," she joked.

"I did get a B," Karina frowned.

"A B? You? Did you have pneumonia or something?" Winter asked.

"No," Karina rolled her eyes.

"Was it a class about maintaining personal relationships? Cause that would make perfect sense," Winter smirked.