Chapter 7- You Are

"You're drunk," Winter said, squeezing tighter on Karina's hand to keep her from trying to climb a tree they passed.

"I'm high," Karina disagreed with a giggle through heavy lidded eyes.

"You're both," Winter said, suppressing the smirk creeping into the corners of her mouth. It was a quiet night, surprising for such a crisp Saturday. Karina grinned at her.

"This is a great day," Karina said softly.

"I'm glad," Winter said. She took Karina's hand and lead her into their dorm, trying to pass the security desk and swipe in as quickly as possible.

Karina's sober facade cracked the moment she crossed into her room. Winter hardly had the time to close the door behind her before a fit of laughter had Karina curled onto her bed.

"I think it's time for you to go to sleep," Winter chuckled.

"I don't want to," Karina rolled over on to her back to face Winter, defiantly.

"Oh no?" Winter laughed. 

"No. I want to talk."

"You want to talk?" Winter asked.

"Mhm." Karina hummed. She sat up, pulling up the hem of her half buttoned cardigan until it was stuck covering her face, evidently tangled into her long hair, grunting as she struggled.

"Oh my god, Rina," Winter laughed, rushing to her side. "What are you doing?"

"It's hot," she said, still trying to shrug her way out of the garment. 

For a moment, Winter watched her, amused and bewildered by the girl she thought she knew. Tonight, it became obvious that she was missing crucial evidence that added up to who Karina was as a person. This was another missing piece. Though, now, Winter was more confident than ever that in due time, those pieces would be filled. She smirked and grabbed the end of the sweater, pulling it off in one motion. Karina smiled breathlessly at her. 

"Thanks."

"It has buttons, you know," Winter said, holding the sweater up to her.

"Fuck buttons," Karina laughed, tossing herself back down to the bed. Winter sat near her legs, watching as she stretched lazily, letting out a little moan as she arched her back.

"Bed time?" Winter asked, trying hard to sound casual.

"Why are you so far away?" Karina asked, patting the space next to her with a loud thump.

"I'm not," Winter said, forcing a chuckle. Karina looked as if she was going to argue, but instead, she sat up and grabbed Winter by the shoulders to pull her down next to her. 

"Rina," Winter laughed.

"Look, this is so much better," Karina said, shifting to make as much room as possible for Winter. "See?" 

They laid inches from each other. Karina was flattened, back against the wall, and Winter almost felt like telling her to come a little closer. 

"It's good, right?" Karina asked, smiling at her again.

Winter couldn't help but smile back, nodding as a cool hand rested on skin of her waist she hadn't realized was exposed. 

"What did you want to talk about?" She asked.

"I don't know," Karina laughed lightly. "I just didn't want you to go yet."

Winter bit back a grin. She wanted to ask something, to get Karina to confirm that she meant what she said, that she liked having Winter around. It might've been the first time she had ever been in Karina's company without feeling like she was intruding, but she wouldn't push anymore. It wouldn't be fair, not when she was sober and Karina was a few different types of fucked up.