Prologue: Biggest Move

This chapter is written from Cherryl's point of view.

I don't know, but I believe

That some things are meant to be

And that you'll make a better me

Every day I love you.

When I first moved to Australia, all I could think about was the snow, the cold, and my soul. When I went to the terrace of my house, the ring clinked with the glass that I was holding. I feel very motivated now, now that my whole family is now here.

The sun directly hits me. The wind blows so normally like how it did when I was back in the Philippines. I was unsure of why I was here, but to be sheltered from an abusive past I faced would eventually change me.

When I closed my window that Saturday afternoon, I felt a sigh coming from my mouth, releasing fresh air coming from the wind. I laid on my bed, barely moved on from the coffee date Ethan and I had. My hands laid flat on the cushion and with the gift card from a coffee shop that he gifted me, so that, and I quote, "If you ever need some caffeine, feel free to use this."

Ethan has been busy lately since I moved to Melbourne. Now, he has been accepted into a local hospital as a nurse. We lacked communication due to his work, but I did not mind it.

Downgrading my profession, I worked as a call center agent, reliving my first work back when I was in the Philippines. Now that I was about to go to work in a few hours, I knew I had to do something as I worked on a few files recklessly. I felt devastated not being able to replace my ill worker, who is still hospitalized due to her knee injury. I sent her a 'get well' note to show that I still cared for her. She was the only one who made me feel belonged in the company where I work.

I fell into deepest slumber, minding nothing but the pain I just got from watching YouTube videos of Michael MJD and NationSquid.

As I felt very relieved that evening, my mum cooked us my favorite Spaghetti, served with rice. At that time, I was very groggy, but I had to push through the night because I had a nine-hour shift - from 10 pm to 7 am. 

I am guessing that my sleeping schedule will forever be broken, thanks to the agreement of nothing but my own will.

As I walked onto the pavements of Taylor's Lake, I would always think to myself to take the train to the heart of Melbourne. I would always slip now and then, as pebbles stumble me back and forth due to my rocky path. Luckily, I didn't slip then as I tried to be careful despite the people looking at me weirdly.

I entered the workplace an hour earlier than scheduled. I sat in my lounge, and now at my phone, I still haven't heard from Ethan from yesterday. I wanted to call him but I couldn't, as he was working still. I held my impatience back as I navigated my way through my table as I would later be working.

What a pain.

Being here in Melbourne gets so much better when it comes to living conditions, but in terms of expenses, it's ten times more expensive than back in the Philippines, which breaks my wallet indefinitely. I made my way through the pantry and grabbed a bag of chips to 'massage my gum' while waiting for my turn to start my call center work.

I do miss becoming a journalist. Faith sent me an article this morning, giving a tribute to me as -their editor-in-chief for quite a long time. I clicked on that link and boom, there was me. I was dressed in a red bow dress and wearing my glasses, smiling on the screen. I guess that picture was taken a few years ago, yet they stole it without my permission.