CHAPTER TWENTY TWO: shotguns and handguns.

"Check this out

"Check this out. The War Zone. I've been there once. It's huge. They got everything you need for, uh... Well, killing things, basically." Eddie showed them a poster. "You think fake Rambo has
enough guns there?"

"Is that a grenade? I mean, how is any of this legal?" Lexi furrowed her brows. "Well, lucky for us it is, so... This... This place is just far enough outside of Hawkins. As long as we steer clear of main roads, we ought a be able to avoid cops and, uh, angry hicks."

"If we're trying to avoid angry hicks, maybe we shouldn't go to some store called the War Zone." Erica sassed.  Normally, I'd agree, but we need the weapons. So I think it's worth the risk." Nancy looked at Lexi. "Me too."

"But is it worth the time? It'll take all day to bike there and back." Dustin asked. "Who said anything about bikes?" Eddie smiled. "You got some car we don't know about?" Steve looked at him. "It's not exactly a car, Steve. And it's not exactly mine, but, uh... it'll do. Hey, Red, uh, you got a ski mask or a bandanna, something like that?"

Max thought for a second and then went to her room. She handed him a Michael Myers mask and they ran outside. They all hid behind a wall, until Eddie ran again. He lifted himself up and climbed in the window.

They all followed him in the van and he took of the mask. "That was suffocating." Max and Lexi sat down in the back of the van as the rest of them walked with Eddie to the front. "Hey! Open this door! Hey! They locked the door!"

"Everybody, hang on to something!" Steve yelled at them. "Oh my God! Let's go! Let's go! Drive, Steve! Drive! Go, go, go! Go! Go! Go! Go! Go! Go! Go! Shit, they look pissed." They all yelled. "It's not every day you lose your house and car in one fell swoop."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After everything that happened, Lexi laid down on Max's lap and napped. The redhead played with her hair and smiled at her sleeping face. "Hey. So I've been thinking, two of the three of Vecna's victims were seeing Ms. Kelley, right?"

Lucas walked to them and Lexi sat up, so he could join them. "Yeah." Max nodded. "Okay. So I figure there's a good chance Vecna cursed another one of her students. We go back to her office. We read all of her files. Look for mentions of headaches, nosebleeds, nightmares. We identify his most likely next victim. We stake out his house."

"Lucas, stop. We don't have time for any of that, okay? And even if we did, even if your plan did work, we'd be putting a total stranger at risk. A stranger who has no idea what they're up against. I do. He uses my memories against me. But... only my darkest memories. Same with Chrissy and Fred, right?"

"Right." Lexi confirmed. "I mean, I don't really agree with Max's plan, but we can't let some random person deal with Vecna, because if we fail, the whole world's gonna end."

"It's like he only sees the darkness in us. So, I'll just run in the opposite direction. Run to the light. And maybe he won't be able to find me there." Max made a plan for herself. "Now, how exactly do you plan on doing this?"

"I'm not sure. But it's my mind. Not his, right? So I should be able to control where I am. I just need to... push him away. Find a happy memory and hide there. Hide in the light." Max explained. "You got a memory in mind?" Lexi asked. "Yeah. It was a time when I was the happiest."

"Was I there?" Lexi looked from the ground to Max. "That's presumptuous of you. But yeah. You might've been there." Max giggled. "Okay, but the second you start to lift, we're calling in Kate Bush. All right?" Lucas demanded. "Okay. Deal." Lucas left them again and Lexi decided to sleep some more. 

The blonde was shaken awake, when they arrived. The group except for Dustin, Lucas and Eddie walked in the store and looked around. :So much for avoiding angry hicks." Erica sassed. "Let's be... fast." Nancy demanded. "Definitely." Lexi nodded. 

Her and Nancy found two guns that they liked. Nancy had a shotgun and Lexi had a handgun. "Nancy Wheeler and Lexi Hopper.  Wouldn't expect to find you two here." Jason then started talking to them. "Yeah, well, it's just... scary times. I'm... sorry about Chrissy."

"Want my advice? You picked a great one, but you didn't. Shotguns are not good for much of anything past killing small birds. I mean, they got power, sure, but not much range. And that's just gonna force you into close-range combat, then someone can just grab that barrel like this...and redirect it. Well, you look nervous."

"Like she said, scary times." Lexi answered for Nancy. "Now, your brother, he, uh... Is he here with you, by chance?" He turned back to Nancy. "Mike?" Nancy asked. "Mike." He repeated. "No." She answered. "I only ask because he's... He's in Hellfire, isn't he?"

"We don't know what you're talking about." Lexi answered instead of Nancy. "What about his friends? They here with you?" Nancy looked at his head, that still held her shotgun. "Would you let go? Let go."

They quickly walked away from  him and warned the others. And After paying, they ran back to the van. "What happened?" He asked. "Gotta go. Your old friends are here." Lexi answered him. "Shit! Let's go! Let's go!"

"I'm going! I'm going! Sit down!"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After some time on the road, Steve pulled up at some field. Max, Nancy and Lexi sat down and Nancy began to cut her shotgun as Lexi loaded her gun. "Is this even legal?" Lexi asked Nancy. "Actually, I think it's a felony. But it guarantees one thing. I won't miss."

Lexi smiled and after Nancy was done with her shotgun, the two younger girls walked away. The blonde laid her head on the redhead's shoulder. They sat in comfortable silence as they both knew what was coming.