CHAPTER SEVENTEEN: Vecna's first attack.

"Turn here

"Turn here." Max broke the silence and Lexi looked at their surroundings. "Here?" Steve turned and they got to the cementery. Max got out of the car and Lexi followed her. "Max?" She called out. "Lexi, please, just wait in the car."

"Max, please, just wait." She caught up with her. "Lexi..." She sighed. "Just, promise me to be careful and tell to me if you feel like something's wrong." Max looked in her eyes and eventually nodded. "Okay." The blonde hugged her and let her go. 

They all watched Max sit in front of a grave and Steve looked at his watch. "All right, it's been long enough." He got out of the car and Lexi followed him. "Steve, just give her some time." Lucas told him. "I have, all right? I'm calling it. She wants to get a lawyer, she can." 

Lexi watched as he ran up the hill and decided to join him. "Max? Max. Max. Max! Max. Wake up! Hey! Max, wake up! Max! Wake up!" She heard when she ran to him. The blonde crouched next to Steve and gasped at the sight. 

"Guys! Come on, wake up!" He called at Lucas and Dustin. "Max? Can you hear me? Max!" Lexi shouted desperatedly. "Max, you gotta get outta there. Can you hear me? Max! You gotta get outta there!" They all kept screaming and Steve caught Dustin by his collar. "Call Nancy and Robin! Go get 'em! Call Nancy and Robin! Go!"

"Please, Max!" Lexi pleaded, when all of a sudden, Dustin dropped something on the ground and shook Lexi by her shoulders. "What's her favorite song?" He asked. "What?" He sighed. "Robin said if she listens... It's too much to explain now. What's her favorite song?"

Lexi started looking for Running up That Hill by Kate Bush while Lucas and Steve kept shouting for Max. "Which one is it? Lexi, which one is it? What's her favorite song? Which one?" Dustin shouted at her. "It's here! I got it!" 

"Give it to me." He placed it in the walkman, which he put in Max's pocket. "Okay, headphones!" Lexi placed them on top of Max's head and Steve started the song. "Max! Max, wake up! Max! Wake up! Max, we're right here! Max! Max! Max! Max! Max! Max! Max! Max! Max!"

They all kept shouting and Lexi felt absolutely hopeless, when Max's body lifted in the air. They didn't stop screaming, until Max gasped and fell to the floor. Lexi caught her and wrapped her arms around the redhead. 

"Max! Oh my God. It's okay. It's okay. I thought we lost you." The boys all sighed and Lexi wiped her tears. "I'm still... I'm still here. I'm still here."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After everything that has happened, the two girls couldn't fall asleep. Max tugged at Lexi's arm that was wrapped around her. "What's wrong?" The blonde furrowed her brows. "Wanna go upstairs? I can't sleep anymore."

Lexi nodded and the two girls walked out of the basement. They greated Mr. and Mrs. Wheeler and sat down to Holly. "Holly? Do you think I could borrow some?" Max pointed at the crayons and Holly nodded.

They spent some time with Holly. Max kept drawing what she saw and Lexi helped Holly with her drawing. "Morning, guys. Everything okay?" Lexi turned her head and saw Nancy and Dustin standing there. "Yeah. Yeah, everything's okay."

"I think it's so sweet that you guys are sticking together like this." Mrs. Wheeler smiled sweetly. "Could try sticking together at a different house for a change." Mr. Wheeler scoffed. "You know you're welcome anytime." Nancy walked over to them and Lexi smiled at her. 

"Hey." She said. "Hey." The two girls said at the same time. "You two okay?" Lexi nodded. "Just couldn't sleep. People kept blasting music in my ears, for some reason. But Holly let us borrow some of her crayons. We've been having fun, right, Holly?"

"Mm-hmm." Holly hummed. "Is this what you saw last night?" Nancy picked up one of the papers. "I mean, it's supposed to be. I thought it'd be easier to draw it out than to explain it, but...Not so much." Max shrugged. "Is that...?"

"It was like they were on display. And then there was this red fog everywhere. It was like a dream. A nightmare." Dustin joined them. "You think Vecna's just trying to scare you?" He asked her. "With Billy? Yeah. But when I made it here... I dunno, something was different. He seemed surprised, almost. Like he didn't want me there."

"Maybe you infiltrated his mind. He invaded your mind, right? Is it that big a leap to suggest you somehow wound up in his? Like Freddie Krueger's boiler room." He pointed out. "Freddie Krueger?" Holly turned to him. "He's a super burned-up dude with razors for fingers. And he kills you in your dreams."

"Seriously?" Nancy scoffed. "Sorry. It's a movie. It's not real. Just... think about it. What if you somehow unlocked a backdoor to Vecna's world? Like, maybe the answer we're looking for is somewhere in this incredibly vague drawing." He explained. "God, we need Will."

"No shit." Lexi said. "But I tried them again this morning, and it's the same busy signal." Nancy turned her attention back to the papers. "Is this a window?" She pointed at something on the drawing. "Yeah." Max nodded and Nancy showed it to Lexi and waited for her to realize.

"Stained glass with roses." She realized. "Yeah. See? I'm not so terrible after all." Max told Dustin. "Yeah, well, it helps that we've seen it before. It's pieces of a house." Lexi caught on what Nancy was saying. "Not just any house. It's Victor Creel's house." Lexi said and Nancy nodded.

"Where you going?" Dustin said when Nancy started walking back to the basement. "Waking the others." She replied and Dustin followed her. "Sorry, fuel for the road. Thanks, Mr. Wheeler!"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Yeah, that's not creepy. What exactly are we supposed to be looking for in this shithole?" Steve asked as they started walking towards Victor Creel's house. "We're not sure. We just know this house is important to Vecna." Nancy said as they both took hammers from Dustin. "Because Max saw it in Vecna's red soup mind world?"

"Basically." Nancy shrugged. "Great." He sighed. "Maybe it holds a clue to where Vecna is. Why he's back. Why he killed the Creels. And how to stop him before he comes back for Max." They dropped the plank. "We don't think he's in here, do we?"

"Guess we'll find out." Lexi shrugged. "It's locked. Should I knock, see if anybody's home?" Robin pointed at a brick and Lexi picked it up. "No need. We found a key." Steve and Nancy stepped away and Lexi threw the brick, breaking a window. 

"Looks like someone forgot to pay their electric bill." Lucas joked. "Where'd everyone get those?" Steve asked after everyone took flashlights. "Do you need to be told everything? You're not a child." Dustin handed him his backpack. "Thank you." He said. "Back pocket."

"They just left everything." Nancy sighed. "I guess a triple homicide isn't good for resale value." Lexi shrugged. "Hey, guys? You all see that, right?" Max called out and everyone looked at a grandfather clock in front of them. "Yeah."

"Is this what you saw? In your visions?" Nancy asked the redhead. "I mean, it's... just a clock. Right? Like a normal old clock." Robin asked as she wiped the dust from it. "Why is this wizard obsessed with clocks? Maybe he's, like, a clockmaker or something?"

"I think you cracked the case, Steve." Dustin joked. "All I know is the answers are here. Somewhere. Okay, everyone stay in groups of two. Robin, upstairs." Lexi took Max by her hand and Lucas by his arm and dragged them into some room.