26

I removed my uniform and immediately took a shower, using almost every product I owned to make sure I smelled and looked nice. I took my time drying my hair and a longer time styling it. I did my makeup falsely simple which meant that I put a lot in a way that didn't look like I put a lot. It took me an hour to pick my lingerie, trying nearly everything I owned before I settled with a rich violet one. For my clothes, I wanted to be beyond simple since the delight would come from what's beneath. Plus, I didn't wanna look more of a hoe than I already was. I went with denim shorts and a shirt.

I went to my brother's study and told him that I'll be at Aiden's house for dinner and that I would like to drive myself there. I still had Jared to worry about but I couldn't let the opportunity to be with Nikolas at his place slip away.

I went downstairs and stopped by the case of keys on the wall, near the front entrance. I scanned the keys, finding one in particular that was not there.

"Looking for these?" spoke Jared, making me jump. He emerged from nowhere, still in his suit as he held the keys to my car between his fingers.

I looked at the man—a man who might or might not have pieced a story together. I stared at him as if staring could make me read his mind.

"Wyatt said I could drive my own car tonight," I announced. He looked down at me. Jared stared back, debating.

"I need you to understand something," he began. I was getting worried. "I need this job, Rosaleen. And lately I feel like I've been doing a terrible job of doing what I'm supposed to do."

"Why's that?" I was starting to wonder what I'd come home to tonight: either it's my bags packed and ready for New York or a quiet, average night. It all depended on Jared.

The man's next words made me lean towards the first option. "I know where you're going."

"I'm going to Aiden's house for dinner. That's what I told my brother and that's what I'm telling you. That's what the both of you are supposed to know. If I go anywhere else, that's on me."

"I'm not stupid—" "Then don't be," I took the key to a different car from the wall instead, "If I go to New York, who will you be following around here? that's your job done."

Of course, I didn't know that. Wyatt could keep him. Hell, maybe we'd both be sent there. But I was grasping on straw and hoping that they could be strong enough to pull me up.

"I'm gonna need you to stay blind and if I get caught, we'll say that I was just too good at hiding."

Jared looked blank. Before he could say anything else, I went out the house and into Wyatt's car, hoping that I would indeed come home to an average night later.

I drove fast, realizing I was late. I knew the was to his house easily and as a girl who's shit directions, it said a lot. I didn't park in front of his house and instead on another free spot meters away. Then, I got out.

Wet. I was wet. I was and this time, it wasn't down there.

My hands were wet with sweat. I was convincing myself that I was not nervous but my body showed otherwise. The sun had just set and dark blue was starting to envelope everything around me. His neighborhood was quiet.

I had a bag with me and all it contained was my charger, some lipstick, my keys, my phone, and my fucking confidence. The last one was so heavy that it was making my shoulders hurt. It's time to take it out.

I wiped my palms against my shorts as I stepped onto his patio. I inhaled shakily and exhaled until my lungs felt empty. My hand made its way to the doorbell and pushed.

A moment later, I heard footsteps from the other side. Each step made my head spin. You've got this.

The door opened and before me stood the most gorgeous man in the universe—for me, at most. Nikolas's eyes brightened. My dear old principal was in a simple black shirt and black cotton pants. On his feet were black socks. He looked so comfy that I wanted to embrace him as soon as I step in.