Chapter 8: Healing

It had been a few days since the incident involving Breakdown and Knockout, and Smokescreen had recovered completely, except for a few lingering scratches on his paint. However, he considered these to be simple scars for him to bear and carry with him, visible reminders of the battle he had...lost. Even if he wanted to forget that loss. Meanwhile, Wheeljack had returned to his usual smug and self-assured demeanour, which piqued the young mechs curiosity about his holoform's capabilities. He couldn't help but wonder how Wheeljack's holoform was able to move so far away from his actual body, given that they were supposed to have a limited range of mobility for safety reasons, before the holoform would reappear back in the actual body. He knew that age didn't normally affect a transformer's holoform range, as it required a special upgrade. However, considering Wheeljack's expertise as an engineer, it seemed likely that he had utilised the tools available to him to enhance his holoform's capabilities.

During this time, Phase observed her uncle Wheeljack finding various ways to tease and torment Smokescreen. Wheeljack would activate his holoform and casually stroll down the street, fully aware that Smokescreen was watching. Adding to the effect, Wheeljack would strut proudly like a peacock, making it even more evident that he was purposefully demonstrating his ability to go further than Smokescreen. In response, Smokescreen, remaining in his vehicle mode, activated his holoform and attempted to follow Wheeljack down the street. However, his holoform abruptly vanished when it had barely reached halfway, only to reappear back in the driver's seat of Smokescreen's alternate mode. Frustrated, he audibly groaned while Phase found amusement in his futile attempt to prove himself equal to Wheeljack.

Determined to get under Wheeljack's skin in a different way, Smokescreen devised another plan. He stepped out of his vehicle mode, approached Phase, and lifted her up in a bridal-style hold. Taking a seat on the front porch step, he placed Phase on his lap with her back turned to him, and in a final defiant gesture, Smokescreen discreetly flipped the middle finger at Wheeljack, who could only watch and grind his teeth in frustration. "Why you dirty little -" Wheeljack was ready to curse out the bold bot for this, but as Phase had instructed him to be nice to Smokescreen, he had to bite his tongue. The two were thick as thieves, and Smokescreen used that to his advantage to annoy Wheeljack.

Occasionally, Bumblebee or Arcee would drive by to check on Phase, the mischievous engineer, and the arrogant guard. Sometimes, they would bring the kids-Raf, Miko, or Jack-with them, while at other times, only one or two of the kids would accompany them. Raf had developed a strong bond with Phase, considering her as an older sister he never had as she played video games with him, helped him with homework, and just generally served as a great conversationist. He eagerly absorbed knowledge about engineering from Wheeljack, who, next to Rachet, had become somewhat of a mentor. Jack, on the other hand, enjoyed learning from Phase how to repair vehicles, using Smokescreen or Wheeljack as examples, and she would often utilise spare parts that she kept in her garage for practical demonstrations, just so she didn't have to take apart Smokescreen or Wheeljack. Miko, ever the wild child she was, would turn up the stereo when her favourite music came on, and both girls would rock out on the air guitar like carefree teenagers. The kids would share their experiences and stories from their time with the Autobots, and Phase was always eager to listen and reciprocate by sharing stories about her dad and Wheeljack from the few occasions she had been in the pit crew. Wheeljack gladly filled in the gaps for Phase, recounting his experiences with Anthony, whether due to her absence or her young age, causing her to miss certain moments. Admittedly, Phase got a little choked up talking about her dad or her parents in general, and Wheeljack tried his best to offer her support.

On Wednesday, after school had ended, Raf and Jack arrived with Arcee and Bumblebee. Wheeljack came up with an incredible (and somewhat dangerous) idea-a drag race! First, it would be Arcee versus Wheeljack, followed by Bumblebee versus Wheeljack. Then, Arcee would race against Smokescreen and Bumblebee against Smokescreen. Finally, the pièce de résistance would be Wheeljack against Smokescreen. This friendly competition would allow Wheeljack and Smokescreen to channel their grievances towards each other healthily and in a productive (not) manner.