4.2 | and alone in life

-third person pov-

"Miss Swift, please have a seat." The principle offered Taylor the most insincere smile of the history of smiles as she entered the room. Her heels created a rhythmatic ballad as she stride across the room, her curls swinging authoritatively as she settled on the chair next to her daughter. Her expression was unreadable, but she was undeniably mad. The way she clutched her phone tightly in her right hand; the way she pursed her lipstick coated red lips when the principle started talking; the way she was dressed in the most stylist blouse and skirt. They all pointed to one thing: she was at the studio. Which meant she was working, which meant that she would be extra mad because Dorothea disturbed her with a call from the principle about a fight.

"Miss Swift, as stated in the phone call, you've been called in because your daughter had been caught seriously injuring a student in the hallway."

"And have you asked her why she's done it?" She questioned with a commanding tone. The principle seemed taken aback as he shuffled uncomfortably in his seat trying to form the correct and reasonable answer.

"She put the girl in a hospital, Miss Swift. I don't think there's an explanation good enough for that."

"There might not be," Taylor replied without a trance of irresolution, "but does that mean it's not worth hearing of?"

"No, of course." He gestured towards Dorothea. "Is there anything you'll like to say? Any reason as to why you decided the violence was necessary in that situation?" Suddenly finding the plain white tiles interesting, Dorothea averted her gaze to the floor. She could feel her mother staring at her. She wanted to say a lot of things.

'They started it.'

'She was being overdramatic.'

'I only hit her once, she didn't need the hospital.'

'They were bullying me.'

But she was never good at defending herself, so she kept her mouth shut.

"Nothing you want to say for yourself, Dorothea?" She shook her head shamefully. Dorothea didn't pay attention to what the principle said after that, the only bit she caught was 'suspended for a week'. Although she could gather that it wasn't anything good by the way her mother dragged her back to the car.

"Dorothea Camille Swift, what do you have to say for yourself?" She flinched at her mother's tone, Dorothea doesn't think she've ever heard her mother shout at her before. Maybe once or twice when she was younger, but never in the past few years. "Oh for god's sake, Dorothea. This is like one day that I have important work at the studio and what? I had to leave because you put a girl in hospital?! I raised you better than this!" Not trusting herself to use words, Dorothea simply shrugged and turn to look out the window. She've spent her whole entire life trying not to disappoint her mother, and what exactly was Taylor then? Disappointed. And mad.

"Don't give me the attitude, Dorothea. We're talking about this later, but I need to know if the girl is okay first."

"She's fine." She rolled her eyes, the only defensive mechanism Dorothea knew was sarcasm. "She didn't even need the hospital." She muttered under her breath. "I only punched her once. It wasn't even that hard, she was just being dramatic."

"Does it matter?!" Taylor screamed at her daughter. "You injured a person! And you don't even have a reason for it! This is outrageous." Exhaling slowly, Taylor tried her best to stay calm. "Now I need to figure out what to do with you, because I have to go back to work at the studio."

⸺⸺⸺

Taylor wasn't in the mood of dealing with her pre-teen daughter, so she sent Dorothea to finish her homework and do maths exercises after taking in her phone. Huffing frustratedly, she tossed both of their phones onto the sofa after slamming the door shut.