1.0 | and i hope i never lose you

Taylor sighed as she turned to her side, tearing her gaze from the blank ceiling. She reached out to her boyfriend next to her, tucking his arm and pulling him closer. "Joe."

She heard a groan from the man next to her as she wrapped her legs across his torso. She set her palm on his chest, tracing circles on his shirt. Joe placed his hand on top of her head, stroking her blonde curls gently. His eyes were still glued to the ceiling, yet Taylor knew that something was on his mind.

"What are you thinking about?" She pulled his shirt playfully, hoping to get some kind of reaction from him, but all he did was push her hand away. Grunting exasperatedly, she propped herself up with her elbows. Planting her knee on the other side of Joe, she twisted her body, landing on top of him.

Taylor didn't waste a second, slamming her arms on either side of him, she leaned in, her face inches from his. She brushed her lips against his, hoping from his usual reaction. She waited for him to snake his arms around her waist, to pull her in, to whisper the 3 words that she longed to hear but instead he turned his head to the side.

"Joe-" Her annoyance at his lack of response now turned into concern, "Did I do something wrong?"

"Taylor." His voice was hoarse, tired probably, having a toddler in your house isn't exactly the easiest thing. She brushed her thumb across his cheek, uncrossing her legs to crash back down onto the mattress. She looked at him expectantly, but all he did was take her hand into his, intertwining their fingers, he let out the sentence that caused Taylor's whole world to crash down. "We should break up."

Her lips quivered as she sucked in a mouthful of air. "What?" It was barely audible, but Taylor was sure she heard it wrong. Her ears must be playing tricks on her.

"Taylor, I can explain." For the first time this night, she met his eyes, those ocean blue orbs that remained the best she's ever had the privilege to see. The sparkle that made her fall head over heels for him were now replaced by a mix of emotions that Taylor can't comprehend. Guilt, pain, regret...

"Did you mean it?" She choked out the sentence softly. Her eyes were swarmed by unwanted tears, her whole body was trembling. "Did you mean it? That we should break up." It pained Joe to see her like that, but slowly and surely, he gave her a nod. And that was all the confirmation she needed.

She burst out of the room, her knees were weak but she managed to sprint to the nearest guest bedroom. A little part of her wished that Joe would hold her back, hold her in his arms and tell her that he didn't mean it, that it was all a ruthless prank. But she knew it was over, their time was up.

Locking the door, she slid down on the floor as the tears streamed down her face. She knew it was coming, these past months have not been easy. With all the attention she was regaining after the release of Midnights and her frequent business trips, she didn't get to spend much time with Joe or her daughter.

She brought her knees closer to her chest as she covered her mouth with her hand to muffle her sobs. She can't afford waking the two year old next door, a crying toddler is the last thing Taylor wanted to deal with at the moment.

Leanna, God, where to start? When Taylor first found out she was pregnant, her reaction was utter and unadulterated fear. To say she was horrified would be an understatement. It was in the middle of the pandemic, everyone was panicking, hospitals were under extreme pressure.

Taylor locked herself in her room for three days when she found out, and unsurprisingly, Joe was the one to change Taylor's view on this whole pregnancy, to convince Taylor to see the baby as a blessing instead of a mistake.

Joe supported her through the whole of the pregnancy, he stayed with Taylor throughout lockdown, he dealt with her mood swings and handled all her doubts and fears perfectly. He was there when she was a total mess and he was there when she was ready to shine and dance in the spotlight.

Wiping her tears frustratedly, she forced herself from her comfortable position on the floor. She wondered if Joe was still up, waiting for her to come back. Probably not.

Creeping through the hallway, she found herself stopping in front of a door. It was half open, just like how she liked it to be. She peered through the gap, smiling through her tears as she saw her face. She looked so peaceful in her sleep, the nightlight beside her illuminating her face, applying a layer of glitter on her golden locks.

Stealthy, she tiptoed towards her daughter's bed, kneeling down on the ground as she brushed a strand of blonde hair behind her ears. "Leah," She exhaled gently. "I'm sorry. We both are. Mommy and Daddy have no idea what's going to happen, and I'm not afraid to admit that I'm scared." Leanna stirred slightly, clutching the teddy bear tighter as Taylor continued to whisper. "I don't want to make you choose, all I ever wanted was for you to be happy. It hurts to see you cry, you know? You think you were the only one that was upset when I left for award shows and interviews? Mommy was upset too, I never wanted to leave you, I promise. Neither of us do. Trust me." Gently, she placed her tiny hands in hers, "Maybe if I had just said yes when he asked, this wouldn't have happened. Maybe if I wasn't so scared of the idea of full commitment and binding myself to one person forever, we would be happy." She pursed her lips as the tears streamed down her face involuntarily. The memory of Joe's proposal was still fresh in her mind like it was yesterday.

It was early April, during lockdown, they decided to have a small picnic in their garden since Taylor was craving cucumber sandwiches. She remembered watching the sunset, chatting and talking about the baby, making predictions of her likes and dislikes, coming up with names and just sharing their concerns and fears about being new parents.

Then, just as the sun was almost fully hidden behind the mountains, Joe got on one knee and asked Taylor to marry him. It pained her to see his face when she said no, when she told her that they should wait, because she was scared, she was afraid of what it would mean. And maybe, just maybe, if she said yes to him back then, this wouldn't be happening.

Her mind returned to her daughter in front of her, the one with electric blue eyes and curly golden locks. An exact clone of Taylor, her mother would say. Leanna was a mini Taylor, especially when she would sit on the piano and play random keys like Taylor used to do. She loved this little girl with all her heart, because she was her little girl.

"Mommy?" Leanna removed her hand from Taylor's to rub her eyes, but the latter stopped her. She knows how long it takes to lure Leanna to sleep.

"Shhhh..." Taylor whispered gently as she leaned in to place a kiss on her forehead. "Go back to sleep."

"Mommy?" The toddler opened her arms and reached out for her mother, eyes still semi-closed. Taylor took her hands and guided it back to her teddy bear.

"Shhh... Mommy's here." She cooed at the girl, "It's okay, Leah, go back to sleep." Leanna seemed to have got the message as she snuggled closer to Taylor, gripping her arm tightly. She smiled sadly at her daughter, placing one last kiss on her forehead as she used her free hand to stroke her hair.

It wasn't long until her breathing evened out. Taylor sighed in relief as she carefully removed her hand from her daughter's grasp. "I love you, forever and always."

——
AUTHOR'S NOTE

So, yea. That's the first one. I hope it's not bad. I literally wrote it in under 30 minutes TwT I don't know how to feel about it tbh. I've never done one shots and the reason I'm doing it is because I'm craving to read something like this but can't find any. If you have any recommendations please do comment down below.

Anyways, what did you guys think? Hopefully it's not terrible. I should probably update my other one as well. I can be so forgetful sometimes. Yea, I'll do that later.

Ok now I'm just ranting. Nvm. I just wanna say thank you for reading this book and please drop a quick vote and a few comments and suggestions!

See ya.