4.1 | and liars and pathetic

- dorothea's pov -

"Hey, how was your day?" Mom asked as I slammed the car door shut. She looked at me with such adoration that I feel like throwing up from guilt. "My baby is so grown up now." She grinned at me, patted me on the head twice before pinching my cheeks gently.

"I'm only eleven, mom." I rolled my eyes. "And my day was fine." Buckling myself, I offered my mom a smile, who in respond, sighed and shook her head. She opened her mouth - most likely to call out on my attitude - but closed it and started the car. The car ride home was silent except the humming of the air conditioner and the occasional rumble of the engine. Mom would send me glances every now and then but she did nothing more than that. I found myself chewing on my nail, swallowing every few minutes to keep myself from spilling out the secret. I wanted to do it, but i knew I couldn't, so the reticence continued from the car journey to the walk up the stairs and to dinner.

Unsurprisingly, Mom was the one to break the deaden stillness of the household."Thea, what happened to your arm?"

"Hmm?" I snapped out of my trance and blinked twice to take in what she said. "Oh, um this?" I glimpsed at the bruise that had embedded itself into my forearm. "It's nothing, I just tripped while we were playing in the gym." Mom cocked her eyebrow at me, seemingly not so convinced. "The nurse gave me a ice pack, she said it's no big deal and that it'll heal in a few days." She muttered something like 'of course she gave you an ice pack, she'll give you an ice pack even if you've just gotten a stroke.' and dropped the topic. I'd wished she peppered me with questions, cause then I could've told her that all my friends turned on me and shoved me against the lockers.

I reassured her that I was fine as I picked up my phone from the table, only to find one single notification. Sarah had sent you a message. I gulped and opened it. And then regretted my decision of opening it.

Hey bitch, hope you're doing badly. Just letting you know that you're a fat ugly pig who probably got left on the side of a road as a baby and Taylor Swift just happened to come across you and pitied you so much that she adopted you. Watch your back when you come to school tomorrow, cause your name is now on the bottom of the popularity chart. Hope you die soon.

Xoxo, sarah.

⸺⸺⸺

"Oh look, it's the slut!" I groaned as I flung my bag over my shoulder, trying to block out their voices like I've done in the past month. It had been exactly 4 weeks and 13 days since I called them out on their bullying, and 4 weeks and 13 days since I had lunch alone in the bathroom, and 4 weeks and 13 days since I had a friend. As if I really had any in the first place.

"Leave me alone, Sarah." I snapped back at her, hiding behind a mask of sarcasm and bitterness that I had found thanks to them. I've never been good at standing up for myself, always been the one to follow other people like a sick little puppy.

"Let me think about it..." She put on a mocking smile, tugging my hair aggressively. "Uh, no." Still gripping my curls tightly her fist, she twisted a strand of her chocolate brown hair elegantly with her finger. She stared down at me with such barbarity that I couldn't help but shiver. "I know what we can talk about!" She snickered in my face. "Your mother!" She giggled wickedly as she flicked my hair away like it was filth, dusting her hand as she continued watch me like a hawk."Oh yes, she's a slut as well, no? I bet she's one of those bitches who walks past everyone like they're on top of the fucking world because she's got money and people know her name."

"My mom is not a slut." Oh, how I wish I could just wrap my hands around her neck and snap it like a twig.

"Talking back now, are we?" She taunted.

"What is your problem with me?!" I screamed, slapping her hand that was on its way back to my hair. "Just leave me alone." I've never called them out for insulting me, always bared it silently, but I've seen first-hand how much these comments effect her, and I will not sit quietly and let them say all this about her.

"I just hate people who have sluts as moms and think they're entitled because their parents are rich and famous." She pushed me against the lockers and she puts her face as close to mine as humanly possible without touching, a sneering smile plastered across her face.

"Again, my mom, is NOT a slut!"

"Then why has she gotten a new boyfriend?"

"Well at least she can get one!" Joe had been with Mom for 3 freaking years now, how is that new? She put her hands on my shoulders, pressing me against the locker. It made me feel small and weak, and I was so close to bursting in to tears. My brave facade was crumbling down, and I knew Sarah could see it.

"Her music is really shit as well. Like who wants to listen to a lovesick little bitch sing about heartbreaks. Honestly, Kanye really did make her famous, I don't blame him for what he did. Someone had to put her in her place." I dug my nails so deep into my palm that I swore I made myself bleed.

"Don't. You. Dare. Say. That. Again." That was all I managed to choke out before the tears started streaming down my face. Sarah gave me a satisfied smirk as if seeing me cry was the best thing that ever happened in her life. It probably was the best thing that ever happened in her pathetic little life.

"What are you gonna do? Hurt me?" She mocked, "they only way you could do that is to jump on me. Christ, think about it! You're weight against me. You take over your mom!" It all happened so briskly. I didn't have time to register what I was doing before my fist collided with her face. I didn't know how I broke her nose with only a punch, I didn't know how I managed to break free from her trap, I didn't know how the teachers managed to get here so quickly, but all I remembered were blood, screams and gasps. The next thing I knew, I was in the principle's office waiting for Mom. 

——

AUTHOR'S NOTES

And... I did it again. I disappeared for over a month. I'm so sorry for doing that again, but it's half term so I wrote a new chapter??? I hope it makes up for it. Um, it turns out that there's more to this short story then I had anticipated so there will probably be 4 parts if not more to this. I know the chapter is a little short but I wanted to give you all an update to remind you that I'm still here and I haven't given up on this book. I also need to mention that I've changed the name, cause I really wanted to use a ts related name so, yea...

Thank you so much for all of your comments and kind words and votes so far, it's such a nice thing to wake up to. I'll keep updating as frequently as I could, so don't forget to vote and comment below on what you think this book. ALSO, 10K??? WOW GUYS THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

Love you all, stay strong and stay safe <3

qotd: favourite 1989 vault track, anyone? you know what, please comment your rankings for the 1989 vault tracks, I wanna know what people think. 

Mine is probably: 1. Say don't go 2. Is it over now? 3. Suburban Legends 4. Now that we don't talk 5. "Slut"