10.

EREX

They talked.

I don't know about what. Or why.

But I knew they talked. Call it an inherent feeling, or call it my intuition. Or simple common sense.

"Let's go, girls."

I listened to the shuffling noise and voiced protests from the young girls as the older woman ushered them out. I allowed myself to finally look their way and saw frowns lining each face except the woman who carried herself haughtily. 

Muffled talks ensue between them, and then they all proceed to leave. I spot Eve with a grin on her face and the others also looking on with hopeful eyes. 

The older woman meets my eyes and I tilt my head slightly. She lets her eyes drag up my seated frame before looking towards the counter. 

"We won't be coming here again." 

And with the, the entourage of the annoying women left.

Just like that.

After months.

I felt like I'd lost a group of stalkers from my tail. Was that weird? 

The air of the café seemed to change as everyone exhaled and then joyously exchanged looks. I snickered and looked around, trying to spot Kaya. Sadly enough, it seemed she'd managed to slip out when everyone's attention was caught up by the Regina Flies.

I sighed to myself and collected the papers I'd been going through. I was preparing to leave and head back to the office when I got a call.

"Zeke." I picked up.

"I'm right outside Emile's to pick you up. We have to get to downtown Chicago. There's a case."

"Alright." I disconnected the call with that, moving outside to join him. 

I wondered for a second about how Kaya would reach but then shook my head to clear my head of that thought. Something told me that women might just reach before me.

Once I spotted Zeke, I headed over to the car and greeted him. Sliding into the passenger seat, I glanced at Finn in the backseat who was typing away on his phone. 

The car slid into motion and I asked for the details, "What's this one about?"

Outside the window, we could see the sun was starting to set and the Chicago sky had taken up a yellow-pink tinge. The sky-high buildings obstructed the view of the giant dipping ball of fire while the rush hour made its presence known with the long lines of traffic. Horns sounded incessantly, and abstract chatter filled the surroundings.

I waited for a reply but none came. My brow twitched, and I turned to look at Finn. Zeke usually wasn't the one who filled me in, that was more of Finn's jam, so I automatically held him responsible for the delay.

But his eyes were wide and glued to my neck.

I frowned and snapped my fingers in front of his face. "Finn." His word came out laced with ice.