prologue

EREX

"Where is she?"

I rasped, voice thick with emotion.

I met his eyes and like dropping a cloak of cover, I let him see the real me instead for once.

"Why are you here, Rex?"

His expression was disapproving, eyes narrowed and vibes harsh. He didn't want to be found anymore and that was understandable.

It took me over three weeks to finally pin down his location and find him.

But I didn't care.

"Please. Just tell me." I grit out.

I swallowed thickly, my palms flattened on top of the cheap wooden desk and my heart constricting in my chest as I leaned forward.

"Why?"

He didn't move from his chair, staring up at me curiously. And even though I was towering above him, he was the one in power, not me.

Not this time.

This time, he wasn't my friend and neither was he my foe.

This time, I just wanted to fix things with everyone.

I wanted a fresh start.

"Where. Is. She?"

Desperation clawed up my throat and I couldn't mask it anymore.

"Again, Rex." He paused, letting me stew in my own agony. "Why do you want to know?" His eyes weren't sparking with humor or frustration, they were blank but for an undercurrent of sadistic glee.

And I'd have never admitted it before but I hated to be the recipient of that look.

I hardened my stare, clenching my jaw even as I uttered vulnerable words.

"Because I want to go home."

He tilted his head.

I blinked hard, feeling my eyes sting.

"And she's my home." My voice broke.

He didn't move an inch, staring silently at me as he observed my ragged appearance.

"You're a little too late, don't you think?" His voice gave away nothing.

"Please, I-"

"She's no more." He sharply cut me off.

I exhaled, clenching my jaw and closed my eyes.

No.

I would not believe it.

NO.

"You're the one who ruined everything. You messed up, Rex." His voice went down an octave, "You lost her."

I licked my dry lips, my heart pounding in my chest.

It had been two months.

Too long.

But no. I didn't lose her. I know I didn't.

I wouldn't entertain even the slightest idea that I was maybe wrong and she was gone-

No. Never.

He looked away from me and I saw a split second hesitation on his face. He was always composed but right now he was choosing to be a blank canvas.

I desperately needed his next words to prove me wrong.

To tell me I could still fix things.

That I didn't lose the one thing in my life that made me feel alive.

That I didn't ruin her.

Didn't ruin the best thing that happened to either of us.

That I still had a chance.

He met my eyes again, steely and unwavering as he clenched his jaw.

My heart sank.

I closed my eyes to brace myself and face the truth I'd been running from for two whole months, feeling tears prick at the back of my eyes.

His words were whispered.

But he might as well have ran a hot iron rod through my barely beating heart.

"She doesn't exist anymore, Rex."

-🎭-

A/N

Hi everyone!

There will be weekly updates.

(Unless something dire comes up)

Kindly don't hesitate to point out any typos or mistakes or authentic details that might have escaped my notice, I'd gladly use that constructive criticism to further better myself.

I'm so thankful to everyone who started this book. It'll be a new slow burn and emotional journey full of witty banter, emotional exploration and unexpected twists and turns. I hope everyone enjoys and please don't forge to vote!

I'd love your feedback and comments and support!

This is just the beginning but I hope it hooked you in *evil smile* Any theories already? Any idea if you'll like our hero here?

Also, some chapters might have some songs like this one did!

Keep reading to find out more! Don't forget to add the book to your reading lists and follow my bookstagram for regular updates. The link is in my bio! My username on instagram is skylerchasesbooks.

Well then, Take care and till next time!

~Skyler