Chapter Twenty-Two

Jaylee's P.O.V.

If I had known how close I was to my own home, I would've been attempting an escape long ago.

Well, maybe.

Crouching behind a bush, I watched as guards made their way around the wall, and wondered if I should just walk up and say, "Hey you douchebags. Where's my daddy?"

I didn't think that would end well for me.

Sighing, I sat back on my butt. Now that I was here, what was I supposed to do? Just walk in? No, like I said, that wouldn't work very well for me.

I didn't know what to do, I felt helpless once again.

"Ugh!" I growled out, slamming my fist into the dirt beside me.

Somehow, I needed to get into that place.

But how?

I couldn't think, my brain was going a mile a minute, and it wouldn't slow down for me to think straight. There had to be something I could do.

The guards had been loud, their voices puncturing the air. Now, though, the air was still.

Frowning I took peek around the bush again, and saw what had made them quiet. Hurtling towards the ground was a Tethran craft.

Without thinking, I stood and began walking to where it was heading.

A smile pulled at my lips when I felt the tug at my heart.

The craft landed, and it didn't take long for the breath to leave me at the sight of Zale stepping out of it.

A scream escaped my body, and I was running.

He caught me easily, and our mouths found each other on their own accord. My heart soared high, and my body lit up.

Literally.

"Hey there, fire cracker," Zale's voice washed over me and I shivered at the warmth of him.

"Hi," I replied, sheepishly, looking up at him through my eye lashes.

He smiled down at me and then his face became hard, "I'm here to have a chat with your father."

I nodded, returning his smile with a cold one of my own, "Oh great. Me too!"

Something flashed in his eyes, and then he nodded. We turned, hand-in-hand, and began to walk towards the place I once called my prison.

The guards didn't cause us any trouble, and actually seemed to be glad we were here. They opened the grounds to us immediately, and we strolled into my father's home together.

The walk into the main room was just as peaceful. People stopped and stared, and I couldn't help but feel a tad giddy.

This was it.

"Well, to what do I owe this pleasure?" A nasally voice screeched, and I looked to the steps to see my step mother attempting to glide down them.

"Hello, step-devil. Where is my father?" I questioned, and giggled internally when she blanched.

"He is not accepting company right now," she said, her nose in the air.

Anger flared through me. I was tired of this lady thinking she was better than me.

The room lit up with a blue glow, and I asked again, my voice low, "Where is my father?"

She stuttered out, "Up-upstairs," before she turned tail and ran back up the stairs on wobbly legs.