Chapter Twelve

The night was long, and around the time the sun began to rise outside of my window, I realized I wasn’t getting any sleep. My mind would just not shut down, no matter what I tried to do, it was constantly reminding me that things just weren’t right.

I laid in bed for the majority of the morning, ignoring when Zadra came in and told me I needed to stop being lazy.

After a while she gave up and ended up leaving me alone, instead she brought a dress in and different accessories. After that she brought in at least three different pairs of shoes and baskets of makeup.

I knew this process and groaned, “What the hell? There’s a ball tonight?”

Zadra giggled, “I knew this shit would get your attention.”

“Watch your language!” I faked gasped, sitting up and swinging my legs over the side of my bed.

“My bad, mi lady,” Zadra smiled, throwing a brush at me. “Your hair looks like a birds nest! Isn’t that painful?”

I stuck my tongue out at her and throw the brush back, “No it doesn’t hurt, and I’ll just take a shower!”

She frowned, “Well you better hurry, you’re father has visitors and wants them to have a nice, authentic Artoulian breakfast.” I frowned at her, and she added, “Oh, and I’ll lay a comfier dress out for you, but I am sticking you in that one later!” she finished by pointing at the poofy dress she had dragged in.

I sighed, “The Tethrans?” she nodded, and I shrugged, “I can take my time for now.”

She shook her head and smiled, and I walked away and into the bathroom, where I began my shower.

I took longer than necessary, taking my time with washing and de-tangling my hair. After that I made sure every part of my body was soaped up before I stepped under the water and rinsed it off.

I stayed under the spray for a while, just soaking it in, before I heard a banging on the bathroom door, “Jaylee! What the hell is taking you so long in there?” Zadra sounded annoyed.

“I’m just enjoying my shower, Zadra, leave me alone!” I yelled back, laughing. I stepped out from under the spray one last time, before squeezing the water from my hair.

I could hear Zadra’s exasperated sigh, “I don’t care, but your father’s wife is having a fit.”

I laughed, “I’ll be out in a second!”

Zadra said something I didn’t catch, and I heard her footsteps walk away. I reached out and shut the water off, knowing if I didn’t get my butt into gear my father wouldn’t be very happy with me.

Hopping out of the shower, I towel dried my hair and body, making quick work of it, and then padded out of my bathroom and into the room.

There was a sundress laid out on my bed, it was pale purple with blue stripes on it and I smiled. No corsets for me!

I threw the dress on, and ran a comb through my damp hair.

I took one last look at myself in the mirror, smiled, and made my way down to the dining room.

“I swear, my daughter will be here soon.” Clark stood at the end of the table, his wife besides him as he apologized for the tenth time.

“It’s fine, do you know why she is so late?” I questioned it, not really caring about his daughter who was probably a little girl.

My brothers, sister-in-law, nephew and I had arrived on Artoul earlier that morning. We were shown to our rooms, and then led on a tour around the main town and castle

After that, Clark informed us there was to be a breakfast, and here we were.

Beside me, Lionel whined, “We’ve been waiting for so long, and I’m starving!”

I sent him a glare, and he had the decency to look ashamed.

“She’s probably off screwing around,” Clark’s wife snapped, in answer to my question, and I made my mind up about her right there.

Clark shook his head and sat down, “I’m sure she’s just tired. She had a long day yesterday.”

Clark’s wife glared at him, “Ya, my day was super long too.”

They glared at each other, and I knew it was something deeper.

I sighed, and looked around the table.

“I’m sorry I’m so late.” The voice, beautifully quiet and lyrical, brought my attention to the main door of the room.

She stood about 5’2”, in a pale purple dress that reminded me of the skies back at home, her damp auburn hair shone in the light of the room, streaks of blonde and red shining through. Her golden brown eyes pulled me in, and I had to blink multiple times before I could finally tear my eyes away from them. She was petite, with curves, which is something I wasn’t used to seeing in any Tethran women. I could tell she definitely wasn’t full Artoulian either.

She looked familiar, and my heart lurched in my chest for an unknown reason.

I looked down at her body.

She was barefoot.

“Finally! Jaylee, where have you been?” My father stood up from his seat at the table, tearing my attention away from the God that had grabbed it.

“I’m sorry, I woke up late and wasn’t feeling the best,” I lied, biting my lip, “I think yesterday took a lot out of me.”

I could tell he didn’t believe it, but made my way to the empty chair by the little Tethran boy anyways.

I smiled down at him, and he returned it, “Hi, what’s your name?”

His eyebrows furrowed but he smiled through it, “My names Jack! And yours is Jay-jay!”

Shocked I looked at my father, but he looked confused as well. “Yes, it is. How did you know that?” I questioned, ignoring when a server brought out the breakfast and sat a plate in front of me.

Jack smiled, and picked a fork up, before he dug in, “I’ve known you for a while! I was so excited when I heard we were coming to visit you!”

“Jack, stop talking with your mouth full!” the Tethran woman that had come with the group snapped, watching him.

Jack frowned, and I watched as his eyes darted to me and then back to his mom before he motioned me down to his level. He pushed my damp hair away from my ear and whispered, “Don’t tell Zale, but I like you,” he giggled and pulled away.

Frowning, I looked down at him, “Zale?”

“What?” The man sitting at the opposite end of the table that my father sat on looked up, and I tried hard not to stare at the God.

“Nothing,” I swallowed the sudden excess saliva in my mouth, “Jack just told me something. Sorry.”

He was staring at me, and I could feel his gaze. It burnt into me and there was nothing I could do to escape it. I looked down at Jack, and he was smiling up at me through a mouth full of food.

I reached out and flicked his nose, and he laughed. I smiled and turned towards my cooling food, ready to dig in.

~~~~

Hey guys! Here is a new one! I'm so sorry it took so long, but I've had a really hectic week! Softball games have started and my weekends will be taken up with those!!!

I will try to update as much as I can, and if they aren't long I'm sorry! I am gong to try my best  for you amazing people!

You guys are just awesome. I love reading your comments and hearing what you have to say!

I also want to dedicate this chapter to neon-kisses, who did the cover of this chapter. She is the first one to ever make me one, and I love it!!!

Thank you guys! 

Love,

        Gabe :)