Back To Me

"We started finding them about a month ago. Persons left sans visage. Heads just blank." Detective Inspector Bishop's voice echoed in the dark warehouse. The Doctor paced around the room, staring at the pictures of the victims.

"Is there any sort of pattern?" Rose asked, analyzing the map of London that was pinned to a corkboard.

"Yes, spreading out from North London. All over the City. Men, women, kids, grannies... the only real lead is there's been quite a large number in-"

"Florizel Street." The Doctor noticed the pattern, flicking through a couple of the files on the table. The trios' attention was abruptly diverted from the investigation by a knock on the door. They looked up to see two policemen bring in a new victim who was covered by a blanket.  The Doctors and Rose's hearts sank even before the blanket was pulled off the woman for they had recognized the bright yellow skirt she was wearing. 

"Found another one, sir." 

"Oh, good man, Crabtree. Here we are, Doctor. Take a good look. See what you can deduce." One of the policemen pulled the blanket off the woman's head. Shock and horror crossed both of the time travellers' faces as they stared at their friend.

"Elizabeth," The Doctor said softly, walking to stand in front of her. Rose immediately felt horrible guilt wrap around her heart. She blamed herself for she should've dragged Lizzie with her at the Connolly house instead of just running to the Doctor...It felt like a nightmare come true for both of them.

"Do you know her?" Bishop furrowed his brow at the couple.

"Know her? She..." The Doctor stared at the place where her eyes should be. Only now realizing how much he longed to see those electric blues staring right back at him. He lifted one of his hands. Fingertips almost touching her blank skin. But Rose's hand on his other arm stopped him. He could feel the tremble she tried to hide in her search for comfort at the man's side.

"They did what?" Still staring at Elizabeth, the Doctor coldly interrupted the policeman and Bishop, whose voices had drifted away from him in a meaningless ramble. 

"I'm sorry?" Bishop asked.

"They left her where?"  The Doctor repeated through gritted teeth. 

"Just... in the street." Bishop hesitantly replied. 

"In the street. They left her in the street." The Timelord scoffed, his anger rising with each word. "They took her face and just chucked her out and left her in the street. And as a result, that makes things... simple. Very, very simple. Do you know why?" He finally tore his gaze away from Elizabeth's face, and took his glasses off, turning to the two men. Rose tore her hand away from him as well so fast as if he had burned her. She knew better than to mess with him when he got this angry.

"No..." 

"Because now, Detective Inspector Bishop, there is no power on this Earth that can stop me." The Timelord shouted at them. He quickly turned to head out the door but before he could, Rose quickly called after him.

"Doctor, look!" She'd noticed the clue Elizabeth had left on her hand in her last moments of consciousness. Rose simply pointed at it with her finger, not wanting to touch the girl in case she got startled by the sudden sensation. "M. I bet it's the name of whoever did this." She looked hopefully at the Doctor. He quickly glanced at her hand and then at Rose. 

"I'll promise, I'll get her back." And without a moment's hesitation, he strode out the door.

★★★★

The ride to the Connolly house was thick with tension. Rose stiffly sat on the moped holding onto the Doctor. His tense body let her know how enraged he still was. The Detective rode beside them in his car, letting the couple lead the way. They met up with Tommy who agreed to help them. But not before, with the help of his mother, uncovering the truth that his father was the snitch. They walked along the street, passing unsuspecting people who were cheerfully preparing for a party.