Then I met You

Elizabeth was about to close her eyes and prepare for the worst when a hand grabbed hers.

"RUN!" the person screamed at her, and they both dashed out the back door.

Elizabeth didn't have time to look at her saviour properly as her brain was still processing what was happening, and she was looking behind her to see a snake-like person slither out after them. It looked far scarier than she imagined. The bottom part of its body looked like an overgrown snake, and the upper half looked like a female human.

The couple continued to run, hand in hand, toward Elizabeth's house while turning as many corners as they could to try and lose the snake creature. Eventually, the pale red brick building came into their view, and Liz noticed the blonde woman - Rose- standing by her front door. At this moment, Elizabeth also realized that the person holding her hand was the peculiar man she was with, but without his long brown trenchcoat.

They quickly ran up a couple of steps, and as fast the girl could, unlocked the door and let the two strangers inside. She slammed the door shut and leaned against it with her chest rising rapidly and heart beating hard. God, was she thankful for all those trips to the gym. While Elizabeth was still trying to calm down her breathing, the couple ran into her living room to look outside the window.

''I think we lost her,'' said the man, sagging his shoulders with relief. Rose was still looking out through curtains, keeping an eye out.

The previous panic from being chased by an alien left Elizabeth's body, but a new fear of the strange couple in her house settled in. Still standing by the door, her eyes moved to the open closet. Without much thought and adrenaline still running high, Elizabeth grabbed her umbrella. Raising it high and ready to strike, Liz made her way towards the couple in the living room.

''Alright, who the bloody hell are you people and what was that thing?" She had mustered up her most threatening voice, but it had a visible undertone of panic. The couple raised their hands to show that they meant no harm and tried to calm the panicking woman down.

"Now there's no need for that,'' said the man in a calming tone, slowly stepping closer to the frightened girl, leaving Rose standing behind him. 

''I'm the Doctor, and this is Rose. We're here to help,"

'What kind of name was that?'  Elizabeth wanted to ask, but she had more important questions in mind. 

"How do I know I can trust you?" She stared at the couple, still holding her deadly weapon high.

''You just have to, and, I'm guessing you already do, now put down the umbrella and let's talk, ok?"

He was right. She didn't know how, but the longer she talked to him, the more she trusted him. Elizabeth thought about the two ways this could end, hoping this one was with the happier outcome and lovered the umbrella.

''I'm Elizabeth. So can you please tell me what was that thing that almost tried to kill me?" Letting her guard down almost completely she sat down in one of the armchairs motioning for them to do the same. They both took their seats on the couch, the Doctor sitting too close to Elizabeth for her comfort, staring into her eyes. They were a deep brown and looked too old for his young age. His eyes made Elizabeth feel an emotion that she just couldn't pinpoint. 

''The creature is called a Vexling,'' The Doctor started explaining, "and you're right, by the way. They're not known for being nice to other life forms, so she would have most likely killed you."

"Lovely, what did she want from me? When I walked in, it looked like she was searching for something..."

''We reckon she crash-landed her ship nearby and was looking for fuel to get back home,'' Rose continued glancing at the Doctor for confirmation.