Saving Lives

We flew away from the capital and landed in a heavily forested area at the Naga - Suparna border. 

We discovered an abandoned cave and we settled there temporarily. Devasakha and I hunted together for food and gathered healing herbs. 

Once we were back in the cave, I asked "Are you sure this place is a safe zone?" 

"Yes" nodded Devasakha, "At least for now. The Suparnas are known for their time-consuming bureaucratic procedures. Hence, I can assure you that it will take them a week to be finished with the whole documentation of the 'crime' and the hastily conducted emergency councils."

"This forest is disputed territory between Nagas and Suparnas. What if the Nagas decide to attack you because of your obviously Suparna features?" I reminded him, gesturing with my eyes to his wings. 

He laughed, "Don't worry. I have been visiting this forest for years. Whenever the Suparnas asked, I informed them that I needed secluded space to develop new medicines. Fortunately, I have ensured that the location of this cave remains a secret that only you and I know of."

When he mentioned that, I looked around and realized that the cave was indeed a laboratory. There were many medicinal herbs and medical equipment along with a large pot of Amrutha. 

"The Nagas will not betray me because I sell the medicines I produce to them too" smiled Devasakha, "Many Nagas owe their lives to my supply of timely medication" 

I stared at him in astonishment, "Isn't that considered treason amongst your people?"

"So?" shrugged Devasakha, "I am a physician, my role is to save lives. I don't see how the life of a Naga is any less precious than a Suparna's. It would be a betrayal of my professional duties if I discriminated while providing medication" 

"You are too kind" I said, deeply touched, "Is this why you chose to save me?" 

"Yes" he nodded, "In the past, I had tried to save other Naga rebels by asking my Suparna superiors that they should be allowed medical aid but my request fell on deaf ears. I watched helplessly when several Naga captives died because of brutal torture. After having requested many times and still having failed to change the minds of my superiors, I decided enough is enough. I felt it was time that I distanced myself from allying with either Nagas or Suparnas and remained faithful to my physician duties" 

He glanced outside and saw that it was almost sunset, "It is time that we travel to the border villages to supply medicines to both Nagas and Suparnas" he said.

I smiled, "If you are referring to the border villages, that means you are supplying medicines to the civilians on both sides. During wars, people often forget that it is the soldiers who are engaged in the war. They ignore the fact that the civilians are innocent and they do not deserve to be hurt. As an assassin, I admit that I have taken several lives before. However, I can proudly say that I have never harmed even one Suparna civilian!"

"I am happy to hear of this! I lost my mother and my maternal grandparents who were civilians to Naga assassins." he sighed, sadly. 

"It seems I was only thinking of the Naga people that I lost to the Suparnas. Now, I am realizing that two hands must meet to complete a clap. I am beginning to understand how much harm the Nagas could have caused Suparnas too" I whispered. 

"I would have thought that an assassin and a physician may not agree on many things. I am glad to see that you hold onto the same beliefs as me. Come, let's go now" he said, offering a hand.

He raised me in his arms and we flew to the bordering Naga village. The moment we landed, I was astonished to see the warm affection in the eyes of the Nagas. They welcomed Devasakha like a long-lost brother. 

That day, I assisted Devasakha in taking care of the old, sick and injured. We both saved many lives. 

We relaxed by nightfall and I softly said, "I have begun to realize that I didn't lose my parents because I was not strong enough to fight. I lost them because of the festering hatred and intolerance between two communities. The way forward will not be to take an eye for an eye. I think the right approach would be to create a peaceful world where such causalities will remain a rarity."

"I glad you have realized that issues are better solved through peace than violence. Peace is a long-term solution whereas violence is only a quick-fix which solves nothing" he pointed out.

I agreed, "From today, I renounce my life as a Naga assassin. Henceforth, I will work alongside you to save both Naga and Suparna civilians." 

Three Hours Later

We moved to the opposite direction and entered the bordering village of the Suparnas. Those people were initially suspicious of me. However, when they saw me assisting Devasakha, they welcomed me with open arms. 

When each Suparna patient smiled kindly at me and murmured, "Thank you" I began to feel overjoyed. I had always tried to fill the void in my heart with blood. Now, I realized that the void was cured only by using my hands to heal rather than hurt. 

After we finished taking good care of all the patients, we flew back to Devasakha's secret cave. 

While we were busy conversing, I felt a wave of dizziness and lost consciousness. 

When I woke up, I realized I was feeling a lot better, "What just happened?" I asked.

He pointed out, "The Halahala poison in your body reacts to any form of exertion. May I ask why they injected you with something so dangerous?"

"Because I am a suicide agent" I said, "My role is to sacrifice myself as I take on my target" 

He sighed and gave me diluted Amrutha in a copper glass, I gulped it down. 

"Your life is valuable, please don't ever take it so lightly" he said. 

I felt deeply touched by his kind words. No one had ever made me feel that my life had a value of its own.