The lunchroom

All the boys were seated for lunch. Wille sat across from me and we had spoken about a deadline on a paper that was coming up with some of our classmates. Wille had not even started writing his yet. I was almost finished writing mine. It was for social studies, which was one of the classes I really enjoyed. I knew Wille was a bit restricted on what he was allowed to say in public. Not being able to take part in a discussion must have taken away some of that enjoyment.

"Before we go back to class after lunch I think there is someone or rather some people who would like to confess to something," Vincent said. He was talking loudly and everyone heard him. We looked towards the third year students. Wille and I  then looked at Henry, who sat a few chairs away. We knew what this was about. Most likely at least.

"Wille and Simon, you would not have anything to say?" Vincent asked us. We had barely gotten back together. I looked at Wille. I did not know what to do. When I first transferred to Hillerska I was thankful to be gay. That I would not need to do this weird tradition of standing on the table, as the likelihood of me getting it on with anyone was slim. Or well, so I had thought.

"Why can we not let each other have a private life? We don't have to invade each other's privacy. It is a crazy tradition and I can't be the only one who thinks that," Wille said loudly.

"We have an eyewitness who told us that you and Simon were laying in your bed and making out. That is slander then?" Vincent said. He stood up and went to stand up behind Henry. "You mean that Henry here is lying?" Henry was not lying. But he did not have to share our private life with others.

"And what you guys said in the locker room made it seem like you actually had a relationship? Were you jealous of Simon for getting some action without you, Wille?" Vincent continued. I looked down at the table. It was uncomfortable having other people discussing our relationship. And me and Marcus too.

"So what? What if Simon and I are a couple? Does that change anything for you?" Wille responded. It did not. Not really.

"Well we would make sure Henry stays away from your dorm if Simon stays the night," Walter said, in an attempt to lighten the mood. Some of the boys laughed. Wille and I did not.

"What if I say that it was me in the video that your former team captain and prefect leaked of me and Simon last semester?" Wille threw out. August seemed shocked by Wille being so outspoken. Like he had thought Wille would keep his dirty secrets, to spare the crown from embarrassment. Everyone's eyes turned to August.

"Dude that is actually messed up. Why would you leak a video of your second cousin like that?" Nils asked. "He literally lost his big brother less than six months ago and you thought it would be fun to take his boyfriend away from him as well?" Even if no one at this school had particularly liked me, they respected Wille. To hear someone call me Wille's boyfriend felt good, but a little bit weird too. I had not even called him my boyfriend out loud myself yet.

"I said I was sorry," August began defending himself.

"I have not heard any fucking apology from you," I said.

"I am sorry, okay? I don't know why I did it. I was angry and hurt. Sad. I also lost someone. Have you ever thought about that?" August replied.

"That does not do what you did to Wille and Simon right though," Nils said. I wondered why he was on our side all of a sudden. Wille and Nils had never been friends like that. Not what I knew of at least. "There should be at least three criminal charges for that crime and you should be in prison."

"It was not that serious, was it?" August tried to defend himself, trying to joke about it. Apparently the boys were not happy about it. They cared more than I had thought they did. Well, probably because of Wille. But that was always something.

"You outed a member of the Royal family and made his relationship into world news. How is that not serious? And Simon went from being just a small town dude into being viral for sleeping with the Crown prince," Walter said. Not that they ever cared about anyone's privacy at the school, but this had spread over the entire world. It had gotten bigger than anything else.

"After Wille denied it was him, the rumours stopped. Who cares?" August replied.

"I fucking care," Wille said. He was mad. I was of course mad too.

The boys were angry when we left lunch that day. We still had some time before our next class and Wille took me by the hand and led me into his dorm.

"I need to call mom," he said. "All of that just got out of me. I am sorry if I made you uncomfortable in any way." He was breathing rapidly. He looked like he was in a panic. All stressed out.

"Hey, breathe," I replied and held both his hands in mine. "You need to breathe, Wille." I breathed with him and then I kissed him. Just pecked him on the lips.

"You were so brave out there, okay?" I said. He nodded a little.

"So were you," he replied. I had mostly just been sitting there. He pulled out his phone from his pocket.

"Do you want me to stay?" I asked. If he wanted to talk to his mother, he might want to be alone. But he nodded. He wanted me here.

"I need you, Simon," he replied. We sat down on the bed, where we both had woken up together earlier that morning. I held my arms around him and leaned my head against his shoulder. He called his mom and she picked up.

"Wilhelm, that was a surprise. How are you?" his mom said.

"I have just told the other boys about August releasing the tape of me and Simon," he replied. "And I have decided that I want to report him, mom. He should face some consequences for what he did." The line went quiet for a moment. His mother had not predicted this.

"The problem is that if you would not be able to take the throne, August is our only backup. And if he has a criminal record he cannot take the role either," the Queen said. "And the royal court is worried that you can't handle the pressure and they therefore want August as an option." Wille sighed.

"Is that what you think too?" he asked.

"Wilhelm, you are my son and I will always support you. It is not my choice to have August step up as the backup," she replied. Wille smiled a little.

"If you support me, you help me and Simon to report August to the police," he said. "Because that is what I want."

"Okay, Wilhelm. Then we do that. How are you and Simon doing?" she asked.

"I think he is my boyfriend, mom," he said. I smiled.

"I am your boyfriend, Wille," I corrected him.

"Is he there with you?" his mother asked.

"Yeah," Wille replied. He smiled like a fool.

"If you are going to the police, I want you both to be accompanied by a lawyer, Wilhelm," Kristina said. " Your dad or I can come as well. Do you want that?" Wille looked like he did not know what to say to that offer.

"That would be nice," he said. "I think that Simon's mother would like to be there as well."

"Okay honey," Kristina said. "I will get back to you when I have talked to the local police station." They hung up and then we just sat there. Held each other. We were going to the police. Finally.