Tension

I watched the rain drip down the windows of the train. The sky was growing darker as we made our way to the school. Harry and the others were asleep in the compartment. I had an open book on my lap and I briefly skimmed over the pages. I was too nervous about the upcoming year to actually pay attention to what I was reading.  A lot had happened over the summer, and I knew this year would be different. 

⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆

     The great hall was filled with the new first years who were excited for the year.  I sat at the Gryffindor with my friends. Harry showed up a few minutes after we started eating, his face, as usual, was covered in blood. 

     "What have you done this time?" Hermione asked. Her eyebrows were knit together in worry as she looked at his bloody nose.  He wiped the blood away with a napkin. 

     "Nothing," he replied. His voice was a harsh whisper, just loud enough to hear over the loud crowd. 

     "Clearly it was something," Ron muttered.  

     "I didn't do anything," Harry said sharply. As he spoke, a tall boy dressed in black walked through the doors. His almost white hair stood out from the others. Harry's eyes followed mine to the boy. "I was hoping they would have kicked him out," Harry continued.

    His piercing blue eyes met mine. A chill ran through me as his gaze lingered on me for too long. Draco Malfoy. The single most annoying person in the entire school, if not the entire wizarding world. From the way he looked at me, I knew he'd had something to make fun of me for. 

     "You'd think they'd kick a Death Eater out," Ron added.

     "He's not a Death Eater," I argued. "His parents are, but that doesn't make him one," My friends looked at me confused. A piece of ham fell off Ron's fork and landed in his potatoes. 

     "Defending Malfoy now, Y/N?" Harry asked. I could see by his face that he was worried. I had always made fun of Draco to them, so even something as little of that immediately set off red flags.

    "What? No way. You know how I feel about him," I started, "I just think they wouldn't let kids work for Voldemort. He's only 17,"

    "I mean they are evil," Ron pointed out. 

     "We saw him at Borgin and Burkes," Harry added, "he was with all the other Death Eaters,"

     "Yeah, right," I picked at my food. I could tell the others were still looking at me strangely but I chose to ignore it.

      Draco found a seat by Blaze and Pansy. Unfortunately for me, they were sitting behind me. Harry was glaring at him.

     "Are you sure there's nothing wrong?" I whispered to Harry. 

     "I'll tell you later,"  He turned back to eat. My eyes stayed on Draco. His friends were talking around him, but he was staring down at his food. He looked up and met my eyes. His jaw muscles tightened and his mouth was fixed in a scowl. Heat rose in my cheeks and I looked away. I could feel his eyes burning into the back of my head.  

⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆

     I left the great hall early and headed towards the Gryffindor dormitory. almost nobody was in the halls. As I moved up the stairs, I could hear footsteps following me. 

     "Y/L/N," a voice called out from behind me.  As I turned to see who it was, a hand grabbed my wrist and dragged me into an empty classroom. My back pressed against the cold stone wall.  Draco stood in front of me, his hands held my waist. 

    "What do you want?" I asked. 

    "Still trying to avoid me?"

     "It would be a lot easier if you would just leave me alone," I rolled my eyes. 

     "You know you don't want me to," 

      "What did you do to Harry?" I said, ignoring what he said.

      "Nothing," one of his hands moved up to my face. He pushed a loose hair out of my face. His fingers trailed down my face until he was holding my chin up. He was so close to me that I could feel his words against my skin. His eyes glanced down at my lips.

      "Fuck off. We aren't doing this. And I know you did something,  you two both showed up to dinner late and he was covered in blood," 

     "Potter can handle himself. He doesn't need you to watch over him,"  Draco said, "You don't need to think about him right now. It's just us," he tried to kiss me but I pushed him away. He stumbled back, almost hitting a desk. 

     "Whatever happened between us is over," I said. My breath felt heavy. "Just forget about it," His head tilted and his eyes moved up and down my body, almost analyzing me.

 "Fine," he eventually uttered. He moved past me and left the classroom. The pounding of my heart drowned out any other sound around me. A million things ran through my head. How had I been so stupid? Getting involved with Draco was the worst thing I could've done. If my friends found out about it they'd hate me. I stood there with my back against the wall until my head cleared. 

     When I arrived in the common room, Harry, Ron, and Hermione were sitting by the fire. They looked up as I walked in. 

     "Where were you? We thought you were headed here," Hermione asked. 

     "I just got distracted on my way up," I mumbled as I sat down with them. The only open space was beside Harry. 

      "You ok?" Harry whispered to me, "You look upset,"

     "I'm fine," I smiled slightly. Harry looked at me with doubt, but he moved on and joined Ron and Hermione's conversation. Harry knew me well enough by now to know when I was lying, but he didn't say anything.

    We talked until late into the night. I had barely seen them all summer, so it was nice to catch up with them. Although, I felt like I was hiding something from them the entire time. It felt wrong to lie, but I knew how they felt about him. They hated him. Not that I liked him, he was just a distraction, but they would never trust me again if they found out what happened this summer.

     I stared up at the canopy above my bed. I couldn't sleep. All the other Gryffindor girls were asleep already, but I couldn't stop thinking about what happened. How could someone I hate so much be able to make me feel the way I did? At least I had a distraction now. School had started and I'd be too busy to pay attention to him. Things would go back to normal and we would both forget anything ever happened. I shut my eyes and tried to focus on anything else. Eventually, the sounds of owls hooting in the distance lulled me to sleep.