07. THE ANGER MANAGEMENT

remaining under the awning with maddie, jenna observed with concern as mr

remaining under the awning with maddie, jenna observed with concern as mr. anderson followed simon outside of the shed, the rain still pouring around them, "am i in trouble?" simon nervously inquired.

"that's exactly what i'm trying to avoid simon." mr. anderson responded, shaking his head. "so where are you taking me?" simon gulped.

"your car." the man paused, emphasizing, "and listen, let's not mention this to anyone tomorrow, okay?"

simon nodded, taking a moment to contemplate the man's words in contrast to his actions, "mr. anderson! can i ask what you were doing there so late?"

mr. anderson paused, locking eyes with him before finally responding, "drive safe, simon." the girls watched as simon got into his car and drove off into the rainy night.

👻

jenna didn't sleep well that night. she couldn't stop thinking about what mr. anderson was capable of. she never deemed him to be dangerous while she was alive, in fact, he was probably one of the few adults to notice what was happening between her and lucas.

but it wasn't just mr. anderson on her mind, the looming prospect of her case reopening was driving her mad. she knew this would just cause chaos. her parents would be devastated, her friends would be shocked, and bethany had already had an episode.

she felt powerless. and it made her angry.

the following day, jenna silently drifted through the halls, discreetly observing her old classmates. there was little else to engage her ethereal existence at the moment. to her surprise, xavier had returned to school, and jenna trailed him closely, absorbing the murmurs and whispers of her oblivious former peers.

"shit, look."

"oh my god, look who's here."

"wasn't he locked up or something?"

"devil boy's back."

"why is he here?"

"god, i bet he's wearing his stupid hair like that to hide his horns."

"how can he show his face?"

convinced before that xavier was maddie's killer, jenna's certainty had now wavered after encountering mr. anderson the previous night. she didn't know what to believe anymore.

uncertain and unseen, she halted as bethany james stood at her locker, accompanied by her old friend amanda.

"i can't believe he came back to school!" amanda whispered. "i don't care about xavier." bethany snapped, slamming her locker shut, focusing her attention at lucas across the hall. he was laughing with his friends, acting like everything was normal. like his girlfriend didn't just die.

"the cops already said it was an accident." amanda sighed, alluding to jenna, "you have to start moving on already."

"never." bethany shook her head resolutely, "i know he was involved. that fucker's going behind bars if it's the last thing i do." she declared before turning to leave.