06. THE POOL INCIDENT

at split river high's indoor poolside, claire orchestrated a symphony of laps with precision, while the ghosts carried on with their own spectral activities

charley sprawled lazily on the bleachers, wally found comfort on a pool floatie, and rhonda relaxingly dipped her feet into the water.

jenna walked out to the pool next, a vision in a bikini, immediately drawing wally's attention as she hopped in the water. his response was a stumbled mess of choking on his drink as he tried to mask his attraction.

"are you okay?" jenna raised a brow at his reaction as she came up for air and noticed.

"uh.. yeah, yeah." wally mumbled, quickly looking away, while rhonda rolled her eyes, astutely aware of the unfolding dynamics.

"good." jenna chuckled, briefly placing a hand on his arm, a moment not lost on him.

"easy with the coppertone, hun." rhonda advised, glaring over at charley's over-usification of the product. "yeah, that bottle's gotta last her another 60 years." wally joked, taking a sip of his drink.

"don't be a cube." rhonda snarled, playfully kicking some water at him. "ah, i love this smell." charley smiled, sniffing the coppertone. "coconut, verbena. i mean, you close your eyes, you could be anywhere. miami, aruba-"

"yeah," rhonda interrupted gazing back at the pool, "and then you open them and there's a band-aid floating in the surf."

"i miss a good sunburn." charley sighed. "i miss debbie gibson." wally added, getting a weird look from rhonda, "what? i thought we were talking about stuff that we miss."

after some more searching around with simon, maddie finally made an appearance at the pool. she was still in her regular clothes and didn't look like she had any interest in swimming.

"hey, you!" charley greeted her, sitting up on the bleachers. "where you been?" maddie was silent, just taking a seat, watching claire from the distance.

"maddie?" he called out her name this time, whipping off his sunglasses as he noticed her staring. "friend of yours?"

"hardly." maddie shrugged. "ah, yes, the side piece. almost didn't recognize her without the pom poms." charley recalled.

"okay, so you think that she helped your ex take you out?" wally assumed, looking at the girls back and forth. "mm.. i'm guessing she came up with the whole plan herself." rhonda speculated, "lady macbeth used your plus one as a tool."

a passing teacher caught charley's gaze. "dial it down," rhonda snickered, noting his stare, "just because you smell like an almond joy doesn't mean he knows you're here."

"you knew mr. figueroa?" jenna questioned, her expression showing a tinge of confusion.

"you mean, emilio?" wally smirked earning an immediate eye roll from charley. "he was charley's crush when they were still students here. he sponsors the l g... t — b.."