04. THE LEMON VS JELLY DONUT DEBACLE

jenna spent the rest of her evening wandering around the building by herself

jenna spent the rest of her evening wandering around the building by herself. she just wanted to be alone after everything that went down at her memorial. it was a lot to process.

it was nice of wally to try and be there for her, but she just needed a little space from everyone.

as she was walking down the halls stuck in her never ending thoughts about luke and bethany, she had overheard a conversation between charley and maddie.

"can mr. martin at least explain to me why simon can see me and no one else can?" maddie questioned.

"i wouldn't bring that up just yet." charley told her.

jenna couldn't believe what she was hearing. maddie could talk to someone that was alive?

"why?" the blonde asked turning her head.

"i just worry that there are others in the group who might get confused, needy, greedy. they might turn you into a messenger service." charley explained.

"you can talk to the living?!" jenna came out yelling behind the two. she was mad. why would you ever want to keep something like that a secret?

"like that." charley waved his hand in the brunette's direction who was charging towards them.

"but-" maddie tried to cut in. she didn't understand what the big deal was.

"stop maddie!" charley interrupted. "just.. keep it to yourself, okay? you too." he turned to jenna who had now caught up with them, "until we figure this all out. just the three of us, okay?"

👻

"there's an old cider mill off route 47, and my parents would toss us in the dodge coronet. we'd each get a bag of warm, greasy donuts. that was my idea of nirvana." mr. martin told the kids a story about his life.

they were having another group meeting in the gym. it was night time this class and most of the lights were dimmed. they handed out donuts for everyone, wally passed her a jelly one.

jenna started down at the donut in her hand in disgust. she couldn't remember the last time she ate one.

wally went to go hand rhonda the donut box, "what's that about?" she questioned staring at what's left.

"is there a problem?" mr. martin intervened.

"he always leaves me with the worst one." rhonda whined glaring at the box. "what do you mean? it's lemon glazed." wally pointed out as if there was nothing wrong with that.

"nobody wants a lemon donut. of course you give her the other jelly one." rhonda scoffed pointing out jenna.

"guys, the subject is nirvana." mr. martin tried to keep the group on track.

"no, the subject is entitlement and pretty privilege." she interrupted. "excuse me?" jenna furrowed her brows.

"oh, ok, i'm entitled because i like anything filled with jelly. yeah that makes sense." wally rolled his eyes.