Chapter Seven

When I woke up the next morning I wasn't really sure where I was. I was leaning against a sleeping Davy. Then I realized that we both must have fallen asleep talking in his office last night. I quickly got up and woke Davy up.

"Get up, sleepyhead!" I was saying.

"What... huh..." Davy muttered as he sat up. "Oh, hi Mandy. What time is it?"

"Breakfast time," I said as I shut the door to his office and walked over to my room to get changed.

I ate breakfast with Jess and Holly in the kitchen. We had gotten pretty close and I was sad that they would be leaving so soon.

"So, I was talking to Davy last night," I said to Jessica after Holy left.

"Oooo, you like him," Jessica teased. I rolled my eyes and laughed at how immature she sounded.

"No, I don't!" I defended myself.

"Yes, you do," she teased again.

"Maybe just a little," I said laughing, this time at my own immaturity.

She laughed with me. Then her face turned serious again and she said, "Does he know about the mutiny?"

"Yes," I said.

"And about my reasons for going along with it?" when she said this her voice had a little more anxiety in it.

"Yes," I said for the second time.

"And what did he think about it all?" she said, slightly calmer.

"Well," I began, "we spent most of last night talking about it and he seems to be pretty okay with everything. He said he understood that this life just isn't meant for some people, you for example," I gestured towards her with my hand as I said this and noticed that she visibly relaxed. "He didn't seem that upset about his first mate's betrayal. I guess this is just something that he knew would experience and be forced to endure during the course of the year."

She nodded. "That's good, he's a good Captain and him saying that gets rid of some of the guilt," we both smiled as she said this.

"Hey, there's something I want to tell you about. It sorta confused me and I want to know what you think about it," I said, sounding a little unsure of myself.

"Sure, what is it?" she said helpfully.

"I's just, well," I felt little awkward saying this, like maybe it's just my mind exaggerating. "Last night when I was talking to Davy there was a point when he thought I was leaving. He looked crushed. I was definitely surprised since his first mate betraying him and most of his crew leaving didn't seem to have much of an effect on him. Why do you think he was so upset?"

"Isn't it obvious?" she stared at me, as if she was waiting for it all to click inside my head. Finally she rolled her eyes and continued on, saying, "It's obvious you two are head over heels for each other. He was crushed when he thought you were going to leave him. You two were up talking for most of last night. You took care of him when he was sick and he did the same for you. The way you got so mad at his first mate and started to yell at him. All that, plus the far-off look you get in your eye when you talk about him, definitely proves that I'm right."

"You're wrong," I said.

"No I'm not," she said.

"I'm not "head over heels" for him and he is not "head over heels" for me," I said pointedly.

"Well, it's obvious with you. I wasn't sure about him until just now. What you just said makes it definite."

"Really? Are you sure?" I asked. I had sort of forgotten what I was trying to prove due to how excited what she had said made me. To be honest, I wasn't really sure why I was so excited, I just knew I was.