Chapter Two

I walked down the hallway and soon reached the outdoors.  The sun was in the middle of setting, and I could see the crew making last minute preparations for tomorrow’s voyage.  Instead of getting in their way, I decided to try to find the kitchen.

     The kitchen wasn’t difficult to find, so I got there quickly.  There was a bustle of activity there as well.  There were women and girls rushing in every direction, trying to get dinner ready.  I stood off to the side, watching for a while, until one of the girls, who appeared to be finished, came up to me.

    “Who are you?” she asked.

     “I’m Mandy, the Captain’s new personal maid,” I replied.  “And you are?”

    “Jessica, a kitchen girl.”

    “Oh, nice to meet you.”

    “Likewise.”

    “Have you been aboard the ship long?”

    “Aye,” she nodded.  “About a year now.”

    “Do you like it?”

    “Yes, very much.”

    “What’s it like?” I asked, intrigued.

     A middle-aged woman walked over to us. “Oh, well, who is this, Jessica?” she asked.

     “Mrs. Thorn, this is Mandy, the Captain’s new personal maid.  Mandy, this is Mrs. Thorn, head of the kitchen,” Jessica answered, gesturing to each of us with her hands.  “Mandy was just asking what life aboard the ship was like.”

     “It’s every adventurer’s dream,” Mrs. Thorn said, smiling warmly.  

    “For me, it truly is a dream come true,” Jessica added.

     “Sometimes it’s boring and everyday, full of chores and hard work. Then something exciting happens and the thrilling riskiness reminds you why you became a pirate in the first place.” As Mrs. Thorn said this, she got a look in her eye that told us she was remembering these times vividly.  “Although the lifestyle may turn your life upside-down a couple of times, you’ll learn to love it here, and the pirates aboard this ship will become your family.”

     “When you start to forget what it’s like to live on land, that’s when you know the fun is about to begin,” Jessica said, her face starting to mirror Mrs. Thorn’s.  “The water is a beautiful place, and there’s no better way to experience it then aboard a pirate ship.”

     “Always remember, your hard work will pay off eventually,” Mrs. Thorn finished.

     “What will I be doing every day?” I asked them, hoping they would know.

     “To be honest, we’re not really sure,” Mrs. Thorn answered, as Jessica shrugged her shoulders.  “The Captain’s last personal maid was very quiet and spent most of her time in the Captain’s office with the Captain.”

     “What’s the Captain like?” I asked.  If I was going to be spending most of my time with him, I needed to know more about him.

     “As you can tell, he’s extremely hot!” Jessica exclaimed.  I did notice that when I was in his office early.

     “Now, Jessica, he’s your Captain! Don’t talk about him in such ways,” Mrs. Thorn scolded in a motherly manner.

    “I’m only telling the truth,” Jessica pleaded, defending herself.