Chapter Five

I walked Davy to his cabin after dinner. I had decided that this would probably be the best time to ask him if what Holly had said was true.

"Thank you from stopping me from drinking. I guess before I met you I didn't realize how much of a problem I had," we both smiled as he said this. "But you do realize that I'm not drunk now, therefore you had no real reason to walk me to my cabin," he winked jokingly at me as he said this.

I laughed heartily. "Well, you're welcome. And I do realize that you not drunk. I am walking you to your cabin because I wanted to and because it's across the hall from mine,"

Oh, I see what's going on. So... what is it? Did you hear something from the crew and now want to know if it's true? Or is there something that you want?

I sighed. "First you have to swear to me that you won't tell anyone I told you this."

"I swear," he reassured me.

"There was a crew meeting while I was sick. They don't like your plans. They are thinking of started a mutiny. They are having a meeting tonight to discuss it. They say your plans are going to take us through whirl pool territory. They say that your plans will take us through whirl pools territory, a place notorious for sinking ships. Is this true?" I rambled on about this quite quickly, letting my nerves get the best of me.

"I knew something like this was going to happen. Yes, it is true that we are going through whirlpool territory and it is also true that that area is notorious for sinking ships. But the ships that sink there are inexperienced and have no business being there. I am sure that my crew is ready to successfully take on that challenge, but now that I think of it maybe this is for the best. The ones who are unloyal can leave. We will be better off without them. I just need you to so one thing for me at the meeting tonight.

"Sure, Davy, what is it?"

"I need you to be, in a sense, my spy. Go to the meeting tonight. Listen to what they say and try to convince them to just leave and not perform mutiny. After the meeting, come to my cabin, I will be awake and waiting, and tell me what has been decided.

"Okay," I said willingly. "I have to leave now, so I'm not late."

"I'll see you later. Good luck."

"Bye."

.........

I got to the meeting just in time and I sat next to Jess.

"This must be so weird for you," she said.

"What must?" I asked.

"Leaving the ship so soon after you got here, of course," she explained, as if it were obvious.

"Who said I was leaving?"

"Well, um, I," she stuttered, "I guess I just assumed, almost everyone is leaving. Uh, you're really staying?"

"Yea, I'm pretty sure I am."

"Well, partly honor, I guess. My dad was a Captain and, well, I could only imagine what he would say. He wouldn't want his crew to do this to him and he wouldn't want me to do this to someone else. Also, Davy's a good Captain and I like him as a person, too. I couldn't abandon him like that. If I did I don't think I would ever be able to forgive myself."

"Wow. I didn't know you were that brave. Well, I'm good with leaving honor to the men and don't really know the Captain that well," she laughed. "I want you to know that I really do hope the journey goes well for your sake."

"Thank you," I said, nodding kindly.

"I really hope you don't think badly of me for leaving," she said earnestly. "I have been starting to think that maybe the life of a pirate isn't for me. I mean, what if I died at sea? I can tell you this, that is not the way I want to die," we both laughed lightly at this. "But seriously, I want a husband and kids and a real life, not just adventure. Please make sure the Captain knows that. I don't want him to think that I'm just disloyal and, well, awful."

"Okay, I understand and I'll make sure he does to."

"Thanks," she said, smiling warmly.

At that time the first mate called for our attention and the meeting began. For the first part of the meeting, the men discussed the plan and the women discussed what they would do after they left the ship. Since neither of these topics interested me, I thought about Davy and what the future would bring for both of us. I was scared. Sometimes, in a mutiny, they killed the Captain and those loyal to them. I really didn't think this crew would do that, but I couldn't be honestly sure. Then they started to discuss exactly what was going through my mind.

"I think we should abandon the Captain and those loyal to him in the middle of the Ocean," the first mate was saying, an awful grin spreading across his face. "We could take his ship and all his belongings! We could make them our own! I mean to say, just think about it! He wants to endanger every single one of your lives. And for what?! Maybe some dirty gold! For that he deserves to lose his life!"

"You spineless rodent of a coward!" I yelled out, letting my anger show. I could tell by the faces of shock in the crowd that I wasn't the only one who felt this way. "You're a liar and just want to use his to raise your standings in life! You're the one who does deserve your life! Greedy idiot! He isn't trying to kill you all! He has actual confident in you, although I'm starting to wonder why." At this point I started to face the crew, all of whom's attention was on me by this point. "He was sure you would succeed which would make all of you rich. At the very least just leave him with his life and his ship. Ask for your earnings in full and leave at the next port. Don't follow the example of this poor excuse for a man!"

I breathless by the time I finished, due to all the shouting I had done. But it paid off. The crew decided they would jump on a lifeboat and leave when we were pulling out of the next port. They liked this idea because it would leave him with his life and his ship, but no crew or chance to hire a new one. While I thought that this still was disloyal, it was at least better.

As I walked to Davy's room after the meeting, I was quite proud of myself. Not only had I managed to save Davy life, but I had also spoken my mind to and about an awful man and ensured myself the adventure I have been dreaming of for the last six years.

Note from Author:

I just wanted to say: Isn't Mandy awesome when she's mad!!!!!! That has been my favorite part of the whole story!!! I was laughing so hard when I wrote it!!!!! :)

Comment! Vote! Thanks1