Part 9: Let's Hurt Tonight

Word count: 4.3k

Song inspiration: Let's Hurt Tonight by One Republic

Warnings: 18+ no minors please. Swearing and references to abortion and stillbirth, mentions of dementia.

 Swearing and references to abortion and stillbirth, mentions of dementia

"Teacup? Babe?"

Flick stirred, half aware of Jake's whispers then the sensation of his lips on her shoulder. She groaned and rolled onto her back, forcing open her eyes.

"Jake?"

"You're bleeding darlin'," he said softly.

Flick immediately felt her face flush with embarrassment. She sat up and looked down, seeing the dark patch blooming on her shorts and feeling an uncomfortable dampness between her legs.

"Oh! Oh, Jake - your sheets - I'm so sorry!" she said, scrambling out of bed.

"There ain't nothing to be sorry about babe, I'll change them while you sort yourself out."

Flick just about managed a smile before grabbing her bag and heading to the ensuite bathroom, clicking the door shut quietly behind her. The harsh white light caused her to grimace, and it took her a few moments to adjust before she could see the contents of her bag clearly.

She groaned.

Jake tapped on the door.

"You feeling ok? Need a hot water bottle or something?"

Flick cracked the door open a little to find Jake in front of it, a concerned look on his face.

"I feel fine... I just - I don't have any pads - I was going to buy some at the petrol station, but I completely forgot." She bowed her head, ashamed that she'd ended up in this situation. Jake was so organised, yet she couldn't even be grown up enough to buy period products despite her app warning her that P-Day was imminent.

"Oh." Jake looked around his room as if some sanitary towels might magically materialise. "Right... I'm not sure there will be any in the house. I mean, my mum is past all that – and Shell, well, you know – maybe Maddie or Georgia might have some? Though I'm not sure and I don't want to wake them up if..." He scratched his head, then seemingly had an epiphany. "I'll go to the store for you."

"It's the middle of the night."

"There's a 24-hour Walmart, only a 10-minute drive away."

"I can't ask you to go all that way just for me."

Jake cupped Flick's cheeks and kissed her. "You're not asking. I'm offering. I'll be back in like half an hour, ok? Text me a link to the brand you usually get."

Flick felt a wave of warmth ripple through her. He was a saint, embarking on a period pad run at 2am, despite his own tiredness. She watched him pull on some sweatpants and throw on a hoodie, worsening his already fuzzy bed hair, and, in his grogginess, he tried to put the left trainer on his right foot before realising and correcting himself. He scooped up his keys, phone and wallet.