Part 8: Something's Gotta Give

Word count: 4.7k

Song inspiration: Something's Gotta Give by One Republic

Warnings: 18+ no minors please. Swearing, use of guns, mentions of mentally abusive relationships.

Flick was beginning to suspect that Jake's grandmother was rather eccentric

Sue-Ellen Seresin was currently sitting on the bench swing under the porch. Her frail body was propped up by an array of cushions that Jake had taken from the sofas inside, with her short legs dangling beneath her. She was dressed in garish mismatching floral prints and was sporting a floppy sunflower-topped straw hat and huge prima donna sunglasses. It was from this position that she directed her workers (Jake and Flick) to fill up the wooden flower planters with new blooms and arrange them on the front lawn as she saw fit.

Flick knelt on the grass, armed with a trowel, and was arranging the sets of flower cuttings in soil. Once each planter was complete, Jake would carry it over to the section of garden that Sue-Ellen thought it would look best in. Except she kept changing her mind.

"Oh, not there Jacob, put the zinnias over by the tree stumps, they'll get more sun."

Jake, bless him, had so far done incredibly well in not displaying any outward signs of annoyance, despite having been asked by his grandmother to move the same planter over six times. But after hulking the box across the garden for the 7th time, his resolve was starting to slip.

"You told me to put them here ma'," he huffed.

"Did I?"

For a split second, Flick wondered if Sue-Ellen genuinely didn't remember.

"Well... I've changed my mind. That's not against the law, last time I checked," she said defensively.

Flick watched Jake bite back a retort before he cordially dragged the planter into its new position.

Sue-Ellen spoke up again. "Wouldn't the zinnias look lovely over there next to the bluebonnets?" she mused.

"They're staying here," Jake grunted. End of tether reached.

His grandmother baulked. "Jacob Jackson Seresin, there is no reason to get aggy with me."

Jake looked to the sky and pleaded for patience. His chest rose and fell with a forced deep breath.

"Sorry ma'," he sighed.

It was clear to Flick that five days of being pushed around by his family was finally beginning to take its toll.

"Jake, will you come over to the shed with me and help find a watering can?" she asked softly, gesturing in the direction of the tool barn.

"Sure darlin'."