18: Heart of Glass

An Aspiring Knight
From A Foreign Land

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

Gossip. People love to gossip about everything, anything. Be it affairs of royalty, loyalty of aristocrats, transactions of merchants, lives of commoners, or daily routines of slaves. Regardless the social status you had been labeled upon will never escape the gossip. And whether you are the gossiper or the topic of gossip, it may be a secret or false, gossip has no boundaries as long as it entertains people, bring advantage to them, or connects to other.

Today's main gossip was of a prince from a vast land and powerful kingdom, once again.

The male students gossiped about him almost all the time, of course aside from flaunting their family's riches and achievements.

According to the gossipers, the prince of Luville Kingdom had managed to gain genuine respect from the instructors and fellow students right from the very first day of the training camp. He excelled in a handful of classes and was good at every outdoor activity; swordsmanship, hunting, swimming, and horse riding. He was never bad at anything. Because of this, he was given the nickname the Golden Prince by both students and instructors.

As I sat in the mess hall among fellow students who were in a similar position as myself, a group of jealous gossipers spoke badly about the Golden Prince.

There were countless noble boys in the training camp to pick, like the aristocrats only by name, but they choose to be foolish daring to badmouth and spread lies about the prince, who was from a formidable territory that could destroy another kingdom with just a single word.

"What's so good about him anyway? We all know that he's not that great," a boy from the Merlan Kingdom remarked, a smug expression on his face. "There are plenty of princes and nobles who exceed him."

These idiots were too busy enjoying their gossip that they didn't notice the Golden Prince who happened to pass and overhear much of their conversation, but who wouldn't when they practically shouted so that more students could hear them.

It was well known in every kingdom of the prince's appearance. It would be weird if people call him Golden Prince if he doesn't fit the description, plus his striking and regal demeanor.

Five days after I arrived at the training camp, I finally saw the prince who had become the central topic of conversation among the students.

A prince of age seven stopped in his tracks and looked towards the group who were three or more years older than him. His hair shines like pure gold and unreadable eyes of honeyed gold color.

A hushed silence fell over the entire mess hall, abandoning the food and chats just to observe quietly. The exception was the oblivious group, still unaware of what was happening.

"I don't need to be great at everything," the prince said with a clear unwavering voice, a voice who was born to rule.

Rather than seeking forgiveness or expressing regret, the group stared down at the prince. They all were smiling as if there was something to be proud of.

Perhaps they thought of him as harmless due to him being small.

Fools.

"And why is that, Golden Prince?" The boy who seemed to be the leader of the group, sneered.

On the other hand, the prince's expression remained unchanged as he answered, "Because excellent people will be working under me. A position that represents according to their talents."