10: Heart of Glass

She never had a home to be called. But a cold place where no love she could ever hold.

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

A single Ryllis flower was placed on a vase by the window, the only flower that was left after creating the crown of flowers. Its petals emit a soft glow under the moonlight.

Back in the holy land, Ryllis was the only flower that grows there. That's why I was surprised to see it here.

I couldn't help but think of my days as a Holy Maiden under the guidance of her holiness, Goddess Cianna. When helping the mortals in their little wars I prefer to be on the healing squad rather than joining the battlefield. It's not that I was afraid of taking someone's life, just that it's taxing, swinging swords and all.

"What really is my purpose and had to become a mortal?" I asked the flower in frustration and lost.

Mission. Vacation. Punishment. Which one?

I glanced at my reflection in the windowpane. A frown plastered on my face. It was frustrating when you couldn't get any answer in the midst of confusion.

With a soft knock at the door, Haisley announced herself and entered. "You didn't touch your dinner. Please eat this before you sleep, princess. I brought tea and light snacks."

"Thank you." I wasn't that hungry but I didn't want to waste more food. "The tea is different today."

"Ah yes, Sir Bismarck came back a while ago." My shoulders stiffened as I was about to take another sip. "The tea was one of the gifts he brought. He said that Lemon Mint Tea will relieve your stomach aches."

I stared at the tea suspiciously as I lowered it.

"The captain seems to be worried about you that he suggested giving you some after he left. Are you-"

"Sir Bismarck is just overreacting. I'm alright, really." I forced a smile but it immediately disappear after realizing the real issue. Eyes full of anxiousness I looked at Haisley and confirmed what I just heard, "You said o-one of the gifts? There's more?"

With a short nod, Haisley placed a small box in front of me. "Here, princess."

I held the expensive-looking box with a creased forehead. Once open, a necklace and a letter were placed inside.

Happy Birthday, Princess Elaine.

It will be an honor if you always wear this gift for it will help you in the time you are in need. Don't hesitate to approach me in the future and if you want to see your father I'll change his schedule at any time you want.

Ps. Don't forget to finish the tea, it's good for your stomach problem.

Lucas

Who said I want to see the king? The more reason to avoid the crazy captain, but there is this strong feeling that I'll be seeing him more often. An aching pain emerged in my stomach that made me quickly grip the teacup with a shaky hand and chug the tea.

"Oh my! Isn't that a protection stone," Haisley said peering inside the box.

My attention shifted to the necklace, eyeing the small blue stone that was caged inside the well-crafted flower pendant. It gave a soft blue glow from the dim of my room.