13: Heart of Glass

"What does it mean to be a family?" The princess asked staring at the brightest star from the cold palace.

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

My fear has come, embracing me like a lover. I'm finally back to the very place I wanted to avoid—the Emerald Palace. Lucas escorted me to one of the many rooms in this grand palace as I prayed to the goddess that the owner of this place wouldn't cross our path.

"Here we are, princess,'' Lucas announced with chirpiness in his voice, bringing me relief. He opened the door. "Enjoy your study."

I nodded, giving a small thanks, and bid the captain goodbye before stepping into the room.

Here I thought that Aiden would be happy to see me—according to Lucas, the prince had been agitated in the past weeks for not being able to see me—but it was clear as the day, he was pissed off. Was he still hung up at the fact that I hadn't moved here?

He welcomed me with a glare that was eerily similar to his father's, malice aside.

"Good morning, brother," I greeted him.

In response, he ignored me, turning away with a pout. He's still nine years old, so it's unavoidable for him to act so childishly, which I much so understand.

A few minutes before the class starts a young scholar came in with a kind smile and briefly introduced himself and the lessons he'll be teaching: Language, Math, and Economics.

I decided to give Aiden some space and concentrate on the lessons. Throughout the lecture, the prince kept staring at me as if he wanted to say something. Perhaps he was too angry that he didn't say anything or he just didn't want to interrupt the lesson.

After a while, the young scholar stopped, announcing to have a short break, and excused himself.

"You," Aiden suddenly spoke giving me a quick startle. "You're wearing it."

Huh? "What? Oh, this." The prince was staring intensely at the golden ribbon that tied my hair. I touched it feeling conscious. "You gave it to me so I'll wear them as much as I can."

"Do you...do you like it?" He asked suddenly looking shy as he averted his eyes.

"...I don't wear something I don't like," I said and smiled. "I really like them. Thank you, brother."

I then took out the small object, it was wrapped in a patterned paper that Haisley bought yesterday at the market.  "Here."

"What's this?" He gave me a confused look.

"A welcome back gift."

His eyes widened in surprise and immediately opened it. "Is it really for me?" He asked, staring at the handkerchief in awe. "Did you embroider this, sister?"

I nodded anxiously. Will he like it?

On a white cloth was a pastel yellow bunny with gold eyes laying on the grass next to a wooden sword. The eyes were made of gold thread that it sparkles now and then.

With unshed tears in his eyes, Aiden's lips quivered lightly as he gave a big grin. "I'll cherish it. Thank you, sister!"

A pleasant feeling of happiness and warmth filled me, leading me to smile wider and hug the little prince who couldn't stop looking at the handkerchief in his hands.

The rest of the lesson finished smoothly. My body slowly relaxes from being stiff as I quickly escape the Emerald Palace.

"Where are you going, your highness?" A maid asked.