18. America

At the end of august, it was time for me to prepare for the internship. I had moved in full time in my apartment a few days before, and I was trying to move on and go about life like everything was normal. Unfortunately, it was not, and I didn't quite know how to keep powering through this the way that I was.

One day, I was putting groceries into the cabinets and fridge when there was a knock on my door. I put the loaf of bread down onto the table and walked towards the door, expecting Jem or my mom to be on the other side, telling me that I had forgotten something at home that I may need.

But there was a surprise on the other side of the door. "Niall? What... What are you doing here? Is Zayn with you?"

I had to ask.

He looked at me like he felt sorry for the question. "No, I'm here alone."

"What are you doing here?" I repeated.

"May I come in?"

"Yeah, of course," I said, stepping out of the way for him to enter.

I didn't know what he was doing here exactly, but I just wished it had been Zayn. I knew it was kind of awful to say even after all that Niall had done for me, but I really just wanted to talk to Zayn. He was the one that I just needed to hear an "it's okay" or something from.

We sat down in my new living room and I asked: "Why are you here? In America? At my new apartment? How... How did you even get my address, or apartment number?

Niall half smirked. "I mean... I am Niall Horan. You underestimate me."

I smiled too. "Yeah, I guess so."

"You look a lot better."

"With the help of my brother."

"Well, then I extend my thanks to your brother." Niall said. "But how are things going here? I hear you're getting ready for an internship."

"Yeah, actually-" I stopped. "Wait, how did you know that?"

Once again, the blonde smirked. "Niall Horan, remember?"

I spent the next hour telling him all about how I've been doing, what my internship was all about, and how I've been doing good. Niall told me what he was doing too, and said that Zayn had long since forgiven him - but didn't seem the same lately. I wanted to press, to hear more about it, but I didn't.

I knew it wouldn't end well, so I just nodded and tried my best to act not too interested. In reality, however, I was dying to know why he'd been feeling this way. I think Niall could tell, because he smiled at me with an understanding and slightly sympathetic smile, as if to say: I know, it sucks, but it'll get better.

"He's changed since you left, and I know it's not just a coincidence." He told me. "He misses you."

I smiled sadly. "You don't have to say that, Niall."

He looked kind of annoyed. "I'm not just saying that. You know I don't like lying, Lela, and I especially wouldn't lie to you. I wish you would just see that he really did love you, and that can't change in a few weeks."

I didn't want to say anything, so I just said: "What are you doing here, Niall? You can't honestly tell me you flew here just to see me."

Niall raised his brow. "You underestimate me."

I sighed. "I'm sorry, but I don't really have anything to tell you."