~ Chapter Twenty Four: Sionis Investments ~

Barbara's paranoia was only getting worse and worse. Holly had asked to go over to Cara's house, and work on homework and study for an upcoming test, while Jim had a few hours before he could return home. As Barbara moved around the apartment, trying to have a normal day and push everything that happened aside, flashbacks from her time held hostage threatened to scare her at any possible moment.

She kept a close eye on the locked door, fearing someone would bust it down and take her away again. Without another thought, she ran to the bedroom and pulled a wooden box from under the bed. Jim always kept a spare just in case, and when they first started dating, Jim taught her how to use one. She sat in the living room, keeping the handgun and bullets close by as she tried to settle the demons with a drink or two.

Later on, Barbara heard fumbling outside and the doorknob jiggling. She quickly loaded the gun, and with shaking hands, she aimed it, just waiting to defend herself. The apartment door opened, and footsteps entered the residence. Barbara's body locked up in fear, but her finger was still on the trigger. When the mysterious person turned the corner, she was relieved to discover it was just Jim. His eyes widened when he saw her holding the gun. "Barbara, what are you..." Jim trailed off when he saw the wine glass and bottle on the coffee table.

"I heard someone come in, and you didn't turn on the light..." Barbara shook, setting down the weapon. "So you got out my spare?" Jim questioned. "You were running late, I got nervous and Holly hasn't called back yet!" Barbara teared up. "Well, Not the best idea to be handling a firearm when you've been drinking!" Jim scolded. He placed the spare back in the wooden box along with the bullets as Barbara started crying. "It's okay," Jim embraced her. "Look, you've been through a lot. It's over now,"

"I am scared, Jim. Everywhere I go, I can feel that monster Zsasz stalking me, and I..." Barbara could barely finish her sentence as the image of that bald man pointing a gun at her back at Falcone Manor reappeared. "He's not a monster, he's just a man. I won't let anyone hurt you," Jim swore. But Barbara shook her head, asking how he could promise her that. "Tell me it'll be okay. Tell me there really aren't any monsters. Just lie if you have to," Barbara begged. "There aren't any monsters," Jim told her.

The lights flickered on as the apartment door opened again, and Barbara buried her face into Jim's chest. But as she heard the sounds of someone setting down their bags, she realized it was only Holly. "Where've you been?" Jim asked her. "I was at Cara's doing work," Holly answered. "I-I'm so sorry, Hols. I should've been there to pick you up," Barbara sighed. "It's fine. Cara's nanny offered to drop me off anyway," She hugged both of her parents, unaware of everything that had just taken place. Holly then walked over to the kitchen to make herself something quick and easy for dinner as Jim turned his attention back to his fiancée.

"Why don't you lay down and get some rest, okay? I'll be in soon," Jim whispered. Wiping away her tears, Barbara nodded and walked to their bedroom, shutting the door behind her. Jim sat down on the couch, exhausted from the long day. It wasn't easy to wait until morning to for him and Harvey to go to Sionis Investments together. Just seeing the desperation on Coleman's mother's face to find his killer was heartbreaking. To add even more pressure was the cold stares from everyone around him. What was it going to take for them all to see Jim as their friend and not their foe?

"You want some?" Holly asked, pulling Jim out of his thoughts as she offered him some crackers. "Sure, thanks," Jim nodded. Cara took a few sips of her water before continuing to eat. "Bruce came back to school today. Turns out we're in a few classes together," Holly mentioned. "Oh yeah? How's he doing?" Jim questioned. "Fine, I think. He's trying to take it one day at a time, but some jerk keeps reminding him of what happened," Holly responded. "I just don't get it. Why do people think dead bodies are cool?"