Chapter 31 (Part 1)

November 25th

Camila was now in the 18th week of her pregnancy, which meant she had finally found out the sex of the baby.

She was on her way home from the doctor's appointment that she'd gone to alone, wanting surprise Lauren by telling her and the girls at the same.

Actually, she would be telling their entire family at the same time as everyone was coming over to their house the following day for Thanksgiving.

That was another reason Camila had gone to her doctor's appointment by herself. They had a lot to do in preparation for hosting their first family holiday as a couple, and Lauren was currently working on getting some of it done.

Expecting her to be in the kitchen or cleaning another part of the house, Camila was surprised to find Lauren standing in their front yard talking to a woman she'd never seen before. She felt something inside her begin to burn when Lauren threw her head back to laugh at something she'd said followed by the woman gripping her arm briefly.

"Hi," Camila said tentatively once she'd gotten out of the car and approached where her girlfriend and this mystery woman were standing.

"Hey babe," Lauren greeted, reaching to wrap an arm around Camila's waist as she brought her lips to her cheek. "How'd your appointment go?"

"Good," Camila smiled, her eyes drifting to the third woman.

"Right, sorry," Lauren chuckled when she noticed where Camila's gaze had wandered. "This is Maia, she just moved into the house across the street."

"You must be Camila," Maia said warmly, extending her hand. "Congratulations, by the way," she continued, motioning toward Camila's round belly.

"Thank you," Camila replied as she instinctively brought her hands to her stomach. Her heart fluttered inside her chest when Lauren did the same, running her hand over it gently before connecting it with Camila's and intertwining their fingers.

"Well I know you're busy and I still have a lot of unpacking to do, so I should get going," Maia said as she gestured across the street. "It was really nice meeting you."

The woman's smiling expression was cast a little too long in Lauren's direction for Camila's taste.

"Both of you," she added quickly. "Happy Thanksgiving."

"You too, neighbor," Lauren replied dorkily before waving at Maia and turning to lead Camila back inside the house.

"She's pretty," Camila mumbled once they walked through the front door.

"I guess," Lauren shrugged, smiling at Camila before walking through the living room and into the kitchen.

"So she just came over to introduce herself?" Camila asked, sliding into one of the chairs that sat at the countertop.

"Mhm," Lauren nodded as she began to move around the kitchen. "She seems nice. She's an art teacher and her wife works for Doctor's Without Borders so she's out of the country right now."

"Wife?" Camila questioned.

"Yes, wife," Lauren laughed softly. "Is that particularly shocking for you?" She added, raising an eyebrow playfully.

"No," Camila replied quickly.

She did her best to keep her face from reflecting how she was feeling as she felt the slight jealous rage from earlier return. Not only did Lauren have something in common with Maia, but she was also into women? Camila couldn't help but feel threatened. Luckily Lauren was distracted because she was having a hard time keeping her emotions under wraps, which had been a common problem lately.