Chapter 25

"When is Mommy coming home?" Avery asked softly, tilting her head up from where it was resting on Lauren's arm.

Lauren was currently squeezed between Avery and Laney with her iPod resting on her legs as they watched their fifth Disney movie that day. The only one to leave (other than to use the bathroom) since breakfast was Lauren, and that was only to make lunch and then to pay the pizza man at dinner time before bringing the food back to her bed. The girls hadn't had school that day and they all were taking advantage of the opportunity to be lazy.

"In a few days," Lauren assured the bright-eyed girl looking up at her before kissing the top of her head. Avery accepted the answer, refocusing her attention on The Little Mermaid. Lauren was actually surprised that that was the first time Avery had asked about her mom the whole day.

A few minutes later, Lauren heard her phone vibrating in her pocket and when she pulled it out she smiled as she accepted the Facetime call from Camila.

"Hey," Lauren greeted as she paused the movie, sitting up.

"Hi," Camila replied, smiling back before pulling her bottom lip between her teeth.

"Before I say anything else, I know someone who wants to say hi," Lauren laughed as she felt Avery gently tugging on her arm. She handed her the phone, which she immediately brought to her face, holding it a little too close.

"Mommy!" Avery beamed. Lauren reached down to help her adjust the distance she was holding the phone at and her eyes lit up even more when she could see her mom more clearly. She then moved back a little bit so she could look over Avery's shoulder and watch the exchange.

"Hi beautiful," Camila countered, waving a few fingers slightly. "How are you?"

"Good," Avery answered, a huge smile still spread across her face.

"Have you been good for Lauren?" Camila questioned.

Avery nodded so vigorously that she almost dropped the phone. "We stayed in your bed alllllllll day," she added before glancing up at Lauren. "She let us eat in here!"

"She did?!" Camila asked, feigning shock. "What did you eat?"

"Pizza," Avery grinned. "You like pizza, Mommy."

"I do," Camila nodded.

"Lauren wants to talk to you now," Avery replied as her eyes drifted and locked on where Laney had pulled the iPad into her own lap and resumed watching the movie.

"Okay," Camila laughed, observing her daughters increasing distraction. "I love you," she added as Avery handed the phone to Lauren.

"Love you," Avery retorted, leaning over the phone that was now in Lauren's hands as she blew her mom a kiss.

"Hi," Lauren greeted again as she crawled to the edge of the bed. She had woken Duke from his slumber as he had been laying on her feet, but he simply moved to lay in Avery's lap before closing his eyes again.

"Hey," Camila smiled.

"What's up?" Lauren asked, stepping out into the hallway and making her way to sit at the top of the steps.

"Just back at the hotel, waiting for Dinah to get ready so we can go to dinner," Camila answered as she tucked a few loose strands of her hair behind her ear.

"Isn't it kind of late?" Lauren questioned.

"Time difference," Camila reminded her.

"Oh, right," Lauren nodded. "Are you feeling better then?" She added, referring to how Camila had gotten sick before leaving early that morning.