The next step

Gotham|
August 7th 15:38

I'm still sitting on the curb as I wait for Batman, watching the criminals slowly gain consciousness. Robin has decided now is the perfect time to work on his gymnastics skills as he is flipping through the air like the acrobatic he is.

It wasn't long before the Black figure himself came doping down from the rooftops, casting a bat-shaped shadow on the ground. "You know the way you two act doesn't line up with your claim to, 'only want to be a being in the night that no one knows of'."

"Why are you here?" Batman asks, completely ignoring my comment. "I was avoiding your visit, so I started walking and ended up here. Then creepy over there tried to touch. I claim self defiance." He looks over at the 40-something people tied up, either thrashing or still unconscious.

"All of them?" I can see that his eyebrow is raised under his mask. "They attacked me first. Ask the Boy Wonder. He filmed it." I tried to stiffen a cough as I spoke. My allergies are starting to act up. My vision is getting blurred, my nose is stuffed up, and breathing is nearly impossible. My lungs feel as if they are burning, and the heat on my chest indicates that I'm starting to break out in hives. Batman being the detective he is took notice.

"I'll look at it later. For now, take your medication and sit in the car to recuperate." And like that, I was dismissed and sent to the Batmobile like the child I was. This is why I couldn't be a hero. I wouldn't make it more than one mission, as I would die due to allergies. The fight wasn't longer than 3 minutes, yet it kickstarted my allergic reaction to the surrounding area.

It wasn't long before Batman and Robin were done talking to the police officers, and met me at the car. "You did good," Batman states as he climbs into the driver's seat. "Totally." Rob chimed in. "All up until my immune system gave up on me," I mumbled from the back seat.

"You had nothing to do with that, and all things considered it was great work, Sparrow." He used my alias. He never uses my alias. "And with proper equipment, we can minimize your body's reactions to the environment around you."

"You used my alias." I pointed out. "Why?"

"Because you took down the bad guys. You did hero work, so I'm addressing a hero." He looked at me through the rearview mirror. "I only saved myself. I'm not a hero. It was self-defense. I had no clue that they were villains."

"Why do you have such a dislike for becoming a hero? I mean you have the skills, so why not?" Robin inquires. He is sitting in the passenger seat, with his body turned towards me in the back. "I don't have a thing against heroism. I'm just not the kind of person who could be a hero. I'm not very healthy, and I'm more of a liability than a help. And what's the point in a hero who can't help people."

The two of them stared at me blankly. A couple of moments passed before Batman spoke up. "But do you want to be a hero? Do you want to help those who need it? Every hero has their own liabilities, but a hero doesn't let that stop them. I don't need an answer Sparrow but it's about time you asked yourself what are you still training for?"

Do I really not want to be a hero, or am I letting myself get in my way? I've been envying Batman, Robin, and Artemis's outings for a while. And their ability to use their skills for something other than themselves. I know I can't be a villain at this point, and quite frankly they discussed me. And being an average teenager is so far out the window, that it hasn't been plausible, like ever. Maybe I do want to be a hero. And if I wore a face mask then I wouldn't have as many allergy issues. It could work.

I guess I got a little lost in thought as the next thing I knew we were back in the Bat Cave. Robin immediately jumped out and ran off, leaving the two of us by ourselves.

Batman was about to walk off, "Batman." I looked down trying to not meet his eyes. "Do you really believe that I could become a hero?"

"I wouldn't have brought it up if I didn't think you could. I've known you for almost a year now Eden. In that time you have helped me do research, and plotting. You have helped Alfred with dinner, and restocking The Cave. You've helped Dick with whatever weird thing it is that he is trying to do that week. You have the heart of a helper and a hero, and because of that the offer stands."

His voice was still his regular stern Batman voice.  But when I looked up at him, his cowl was down, and an unfamiliar kind look was in his eye. At that moment I couldn't help myself. I flung myself into the man, capturing him in a tight hug. "Thank you," I whispered. And to my surprise he hugged back.

"I'll have a suit ready for you tomorrow, and we can start adding patrols to our normal schedule. But for now, I need you to get off of me and go home so that I can finish my work at Wayne Enterprise." I let go of my mentor and flashed him a smile.

"See you tomorrow Batman." He gave me one of his rare smiles as well. "I'll see you tomorrow, Sparrow."

I guess I'm a hero now.