the start of the fall

Cold air swallows me as I step into the dark winter night, I hear Ed thank his friend as he hands him a small wad of cash. I turn to smile at the driver as well, 'Thank you,' I say, making my way to the building.

Jake was right, it was deliciously warm in the cafe. All my muscles relax with the new atmosphere and I plonk myself into a booth, cracking my knuckles with my thumbs.

The door opens and closes behind me and Ed joins me at the table, 'still think we're serial killers?'

'No,' I say, 'I know you are serial killers.'

He laughs a small, breathy laugh and takes the small drinks menu in his left hand, admiring it. I feel the adrenaline coming to an ease in my body as I watch this stranger before me, 'can I ask you a personal question?' I whisper, not wanting to break the silence, but not wanting to know nothing.

Ed's eyes wander up to meet mine, 'Sure, as soon as you tell me your name.'

'My name is May,' I say.

'Hello May, I'm Ed if you didn't pick that up already. Our driver was Jake, a good friend of mine. He really is sweet. Great musician too.' He smiles at the memory of his friend. 'What's your question, May?'

'Why are you all alone on New Years Eve?'

Ed looks awkward for a second before replying, 'I'm not all alone. I'm here with you.'

'You know what I mean,' I say, before realising how rude that came across as, 'I mean... You just don't look like you'd be homeless is all.'

'I'm not homeless, May. I'm just a bit home-less than I'd like to be,' something flashes in Eds eyes and he pulls out his phone, quickly typing some words before turning his attention back to me. I raise my eyebrow in a silent question and Ed shakes his head, fire burning on his skull. 'Sorry.'

'That's okay...' What did he type in his phone? I didn't see him press a send button or anything.

'I'll go order then, do you want tea or coffee?' When I don't reply he continues, 'Their tea is great. Do you like milk? Sugar?'

'Yeah,' I say, shaking out of my daydream, 'White and 2'

Ed slowly walks over to the counter whilst checking over the menu again. I pull a loose thread from my jacket and start playing with it on the table. Like a kitten, I push it back and forth, pouncing on it with my fingers then letting it fall back down. How simple would it be to live a life as a cat; sleeping all day, getting fed, not having to worry about anything...

I'm snapped out of my train of thought by a mug of steaming tea being placed before me. 'It smells incredible!' I feel my stomach growl at the thought of finally getting something in it.

'Does, doesn't it,' Ed slides into the booth beside me instead of across, 'I can't usually afford to have anything from here,' he chuckles softly.

I let my eyes drift to his, they're brilliant blue, typical for someone so white and ginger. Something flutters in my stomach and I immediately break eye contact. What has it been? Half an hour? I cannot already be falling for him! He's a stranger!

'You okay?' A hint of disappointment in his tone startles me, did he want us to stare into each others eyes all night?

'Yeah, I'm fine,' I say, making eye contact again. It's like I get sucked right back in and I can't look away from those orbs... those beautiful eyes. The butterflies in my stomach return but I don't look away. Looking away from his eyes right now would be like going to the Grand Canyon with my eyes closed, it wouldn't be right. Behind Ed a young girl approaches, slowly and unsurely, but definitely straight towards us. My companion sees my eyes wander and turns his body to face the newcomer. As soon as he does she fastens her pace.

'Ed Sheeran?' She asks, which takes both of us by surprise.

'Yeah, Love. Can I help you?' Ed replies.

'Wow, I can't believe it's you,' she says, 'I'm a big fan!'

'Oh! Really? That's great!' Ed turns to look at me, a smile way too big on his face.

The girl smiles even wider and asks him to sign her arm and she takes a few photos with him. When she leaves Ed slides back in next to me. He is beaming.

'That was weird?'

'May, that was so cool!' He giggles. Actually GIGGLES.

'Can you tell me what's going on?'

'I have a fan!' Ed laughs, doing a little dance in the seat while biting his lower lip. When I don't say anything he turns to me, grabs my hand and kisses it. 'I can already tell this is going to be the best new years ever!'

'Ed...' I say, 'What is she a fan of?'

He smiles at me but says nothing except, 'Try the tea.'

'Ed.'

He takes a sip and settles back into the booth, closing his eyes... and still smiling.

I can already tell this is going to be the most confusing New Years ever.