Chapter Six

Gʅყƈҽɾιɳҽ

✦ .  ⁺   . ✦ .  ⁺   . ✦

The shop stayed busy around the time they received magic scrolls for the first time. Xynaa was working nonstop for weeks, juggling serving customers and keeping the shop stocked and organized.

One morning she opened early to get a head start on stocking. Moving the boxes to the shelves, she pulled the scrolls and books out before placing them when the bell rang.

Xynaa placed one more before rounding the shelf. One of the men entered, looking around.

"Good morning, Jatar," Xynaa called. The elf smiled as he walked in.

"You've been busy, haven't you?" He asked her.

"Yes, actually. I've received dozens of orders for scrolls. They're going quickly, so if you're interested, I'd grab them while they're here."

"I'll have to take a look," he said. "I'm in search for some reads, I'll be staying in for the next few nights, to keep on the down-low."

Xynaa rose a brow. "What do you mean?"

"You haven't heard?" He asked. "There's a killer here in town, somewhere."

Her blood ran cold as she turned away from the shelf.

"The last few weeks, people have been goin' missing. From all around the city. But recent events have been around here. They found a man dead a while back in the street."

She inhaled as she recalled the dead man in the street. "And they haven't found who has done it?"

He shook his head. "No. But another woman has gone missing. She was at the inn last night, someone said she was seen leaving with some man, but nobody saw his face. He wore clothes coverin' his face. Nine hells only knows where she's gone, if she's not dead."

Xynaa clenched her jaw as she turned back to the shelf. "It's hard telling, considering all of the thieves and gur around here. It could've been anyone."

"Yes, but around here? It's getting closer. That was only a few miles from here, Xynaa. It's getting closer."

She swallowed. "I'll try and watch my surroundings. But you won't need to worry. If I'm not at the same two places, I am almost always here."

"Good, we don't need to lose one of our finest shopkeepers here." He smiled. "All right. What's new in here? Load me up."

✦ .  ⁺   . ✦ .  ⁺   . ✦

Astarion couldn't tell what Cazador was thinking, and he didn't believe that he wanted to know.

The elf stood before his master's throne, eyes focused on the young, slim woman sitting at his feet. Her eyes were focused on Astarion as Cazador stroked her long black hair.

"Absolutely beautiful." Cazador murmured. "And quiet. Submit to me, my love."

She closed her eyes as Cazador's nails trailed over the nape of her neck before brushing her hair away from his face. Astarion's jaw clenched as he lifted her wrist to his view.