Chapter 1

“It’s not fair!”

“Life isn’t fair.”

“Why do I have to go?!” he screams more than asks.

“Because!” Freen exclaims, finally losing her calm.

She rubs the space between her eyebrows, the hints of a headache coming on.

“That’s not a f- that’s not an answer!”

Even in the midsts of a discussion, she’s at least glad her son won’t curse.

There’s that. Freen sighs.

“August, please. Just pack your bag, or I’ll do it for you.”

He huffs and slams the bedroom door, but a few minutes later Freen can hear him angrily packing - if there’s such a thing.

At least, she hears the sound of drawers opening, and she hopes it is to find his swimming trunks and not set his clothes on fire in one last ditch attempt to skip the trip.

Freen walks back to the bedroom, checking on the little ones in front of the TV first.

She doesn’t like arguing with their brother in front of them, and she’s glad that the re-runs of Go, Diego, go! have kept them entertained.

“He never fights with me,” Becky mentions the minute Freen walks in the room.

“Do you want him to fight with you?” Freen asks, sitting down on the edge of the bed.

She twists her neck from side to side, feeling a few kinks. August is usually a good kid, incredibly well behaved. Not tonight.

“No, I mean…It’s like he doesn’t even bother, you know? To fight with me,” Becky says, putting down her ipad. “It’s like at the end of the day you’re his mother.”

Freen turns around.

“We’re his mothers, Bec.”

“You were his mom before I showed up,” she says. “I’ve known him for only half his life.”

“The better half. The best half.” Freen leans down and presses a kiss to the nearest part of Becky - her knee. “Our family wasn’t complete without you.”

“You are a real sweet-talker aren’t you?”

“Mmhn.” Freen nods, and lays down her head on Becky's thigh. “He only fights with me because he knows I’m the one who’s going to ground his pre-teen ass if he steps out of line,” she says, and even from her spot she can see Becky bites her lip, though it fails to hide her smile. “You’d just tell him to ask me. Or take him out for ice-cream after I ground him.”

“That was one time,” Becky says, running her hand up and down Freen's back.

Freen melts into Becky's body, and Becky smiles openly now. She itches to sit up and kiss the impish smile off her lips.

Freen has never been able to be close to Becky like this, and not touch her, not kiss her. Her affection spills out of her even after nearly a decade together.

“Where did that come from?” Freen asks quietly, and Becky's body stiffens up beneath her.

“Bec?” she asks again, sitting up.

Becky sighs.

“Billy was asking Gus about his school project, the one with the family tree?”

“Yeah?”

“Gus told Billy that I wasn’t his mom. That he hadn’t been in either of our tummies like he and Pat. And we haven’t kept the fact he’s adopted a secret, but Billy's five, I could tell it confused him.”