Chapter 10

There are children crying in every corner.

August wants to find it in himself to get up and comfort them, since there the two nurses that tend to all of them always seem busy, but he can’t move at all.

It’s as if he’s frozen in place, just like his mind has been for the past few hours.

He can’t think about the future.

He’s lost hope that his mom or Patricia or Billy might be okay, and now that Becky is gone he doesn’t know what to do.

He doesn’t have it in him to ask for a phone to call home, but even if he did he doesn’t think he remembers his grandma’s number by heart.

He doesn’t know if there are computers available somewhere. He tries to remember if he saw any back at the hospital, but he can’t.

Every second he spent between those stark white walls feels like a bad dream he can’t wake up from, and even trying to remember is painful.

August doesn’t know where he goes from here.

What happens when he gets home, whenever and however that happens?

Does he move in with his grandma? Does he go back to a system he doesn’t remember?

He wants to think Rawe wouldn’t let that happen. Would she even have a choice? Or is a child like signing a contract, and now that his moms are gone the government is going to take him back?

The kid at the far back keeps crying. He has pale hair and pale blue eyes, and the sticker in his shirt says “Robin”.

He looks like a tourist.

August wonders if the little boy, who looks no older than four or five, also came to vacation with his family, and lot them in the process.

He wonder if he was scared of flying like August was. If he likes coloring like Patricia does. Maybe that’s why he’s crying.

They have them all in a tent and there’s not enough crayons and coloring books to go around for everyone, and anyways, there’s not enough of those to make them forget they’re orphans now.

August gets up. The nurses are so busy they don’t notice him as he quietly makes his way to the open flap of the tent.

He needs to get some air, needs to breathe it an atmosphere that doesn’t reek of grief and sorrow.

//

The sun shines bright outside.

Freen leaves them on the steps of the hospital.

Her back hurts, and both Patricia and Billy are too tired to keep walking, so she has to put them down for a second.

She finds an English woman with children of her own, and Freen remembers just enough foreigners from her college years to get her to keep an eye on both of them while they play with the woman’s twin boys.

“Tell anyone who asks your mom is inside and you're waiting for her, okay? Don't go anywhere,”she says, grabbing their hands.

Billy nods, serious, while Patricia's eyes wander around, desperate to play with the ball the boys have.

“Don’t let anyone take you anywhere,” she tells Billy, and her son nods again.

She nods the dangers of leaving them alone, she’s faced them before, but she doesn’t have a choice. She’s not leaving them alone this time.