Good Morning

I was jogging this cold morning with a friend when I ran by the Roadside Cafe and decided to rest there for a bit and get something warm to drink.

I am with a girl named Mars. She has a bob cut and brown eyes. Just like me, we came from the Philippines a while ago to study and work.

I told her we should get a drink and she said yes. Once we entered, I noticed Tea was on duty today. I am weirdly happy about it. I wanted to talk to him after all. About his drinks and perhaps some other thing too.

"Hey, how's it going, Tea?"
I walked towards him with a smile.

He was mopping the floor when we came. It was very early and no one was there except us.

"I'm doing okay! You're Mr. Cola, right? You should take a seat. I'll be there in a bit to take your order" He replied, seemingly out of breath. He's not physically fit for this job at all. It's adorable how he's trying though.

We found a table then me and Mars sat down and chatted for a bit and then he finally came.

"What can I get for both of you?"

Ah, here it is! What I've been waiting for!

"Can we get the 'special blend' for today?"

"Of course! 2 special Autumn Dry blends coming up. How sweet would you like these to be?"

He asked. For some reason, I can't help but keep smiling when he talks. He's such an adorable person.

"Can it be as sweet as you?"
I said as a joke in a whisper.

"Eh?" Tea blushed.

Wait. HE HEARD THAT? I was sure I said it under my breath!

"It was just a joke haha! Just regular please!"

I said, trying to loosen out of this situation.

"Oh a-ahaha" he replied. He then asked Mars in an attempt to move on.

"What about you miss?"

For some reason, Mars had a different vibe, she was smiling but not in the way she naturally does. Something more of a formal and respectful smile. Maybe she's tired.

"Unsweetened, for me."
She replied, monotonously.

"Alrighty! I'll back!" Then he left.

Whew.

"Do you both know each other?"
Mars asked out of the blue. She felt different from usual.

"No I don't think so?"
I answered honestly.

"What do you mean by that?"

"Well, I think I know him but maybe I'm just mistaken somehow. He just seemed familiar that's all."

"So, you're not friends?"

"I mean, technically yeah."

"Oh okay."

The tightness in the air was lifted only a little bit but I feel like it'll be suffocating again soon.

And alas, he did! He delivered humming around, and slightly dancing his head to the hum.

"Here you go! Two dry Autumn Dry Blends, regular and unsweetened!"

He gave it to me with such a cute smile that I felt warm inside.

Oh god I might have a crush already. What was I going to ask him again?

"Thank you!"

I drank it slowly right after. The aroma was incredible, and the tart underlying taste with it's natural sweetness reminds of pumpkins and chestnuts. Agh it's so good but I feel like something's missing..

"Here you sir!"

Tea then puts a plate down with a slice of mocha cake and a fork.

Out of confusion, I asked him.

"What's this?"

"It's part of the drink! It comes with the tea."

It was mocha cake topped with whipped cream and a small cube of chocolate fudge at the top.

I ate it along side with the tea and created a harmony of flavor that reminds me of autumn. I start to remember when I walk at the park, when the golden leaves start to fall and I feel cold and yet at the same time warm. This is it, a drink of melancholy.

How did he do this? I don't know, but I think I'm addicted.

"This is so good!" I said excited.

"Don't you agree, Mars?"
I turn to her.

"Oh. Um. Yeah." She said, then looks away. I'm glad she likes it.

Another customer entered so we couldn't continue our conversation but we got out satisfied.

Mars fell a little silent, perhaps from exhaustion from our little jog earlier, but Tea saw us off as we walked out with a very big smile on his face.

A very good morning it is indeed!