Bonus Chapter: Such a Loving Way

|Four Years Later|
|Friday|

"You can do this. I have coached you for the past four years and have seen you grow and learn about anything you could learn about swimming, and there is still more. Besides that, you are an amazing swimmer, and you will go out there, and show the world what you are made of because you are Ryla Walters, and you are a swimming machine." Missy Franklin shook my shoulders energetically as I jumped up and down alone in the locker room with her.

"I can do this. I love swimming. Give me a beat." She tossed me my headphones that were already plugged into my phone, playing a song on repeat that could get me going, keep me going.

I stood next to her as I watched the others swim their hearts out in the pool, leaving nothing in the water and taking it all to the wall. It just made me happy to be surrounded by so many people who love the same sport as me.

They would be willing to step up and tell people that swimming is a sport and that it's the best sport for your entire body because it works everything.

I hummed along before I ripped out the ear buds, pausing the song before I stuck it in Missy's pocket. I put on one of my bungee straps to my goggles and placed my goggles over my eyes.

Missy quickly stretched and let go of my Team U.S.A. cap over my hair, and I pulled the other strap over my cap before tucking the rest of my hair tightly in.

I walked over behind the blocks, jumping and shaking my limbs out as I prepared for my swim. I felt the small fire in the pit of my stomach, encouraging my love for the sport and firing the adrenaline rapidly through my body. In that moment, I felt like I had to pee, but I knew it was all a thought. I didn't need to. It was the nerves.

With one last look into the stands, I stood defeated, not seeing any of the people I had hoped that would show up.

My family. Libby. Tally. Shyanne.

Not a single one of them had shown up.

"Our next event is the girls 800 IM. This is heat one of two." I stepped up behind the blocks since I had yet to prove my worth of the Olympics, ready to let them know that I am worthy of standing behind on blocks and swimming in this pool to earn a time.

It seemed like only yesterday that I was a fifth grader and had found swimming. My love had grown, and I went from going up to the blocks to represent my team to going up to the block to represent my country.

The five short whistles blew, and the pool had been cleared, the natatorium nearly silent with anticipation for what was to come. I wasn't used to the silence, but it would be gone when the buzzer went off and the eight of us dove in and started swimming.

The long whistle blew, and I stood up on the block, quickly going through my mental check list.

"Take your marks." The strong voice echoed through the microphone and throughout the pool and stadium seats.

The buzzer sounded, and I pushed myself from the blocks, propelling myself in with the grace of a swan.

Great dive, now start with a 200 butterfly. It's just four laps.

The song ran through my head, giving me the last bit of rhythm to keep pulling myself forward through butterfly and into backstroke.

Drills ran through my head, reminding me of every thing that I had needed help with. The screams from the people here was just a dull roar compared to the sound of the "ocean" in my ears from the water and my cap.

As I was coming back on the last fifty of backstroke, I made a decision that could make or break my entire 800 IM. I was going to do the bucket turn.