Chapter I

The early morning in Jungjin City was enveloped in a chill that crept through every layer of clothing, a sign of the impending winter. The sun hung low in the sky, casting long shadows that stretched across the streets. The air was crisp, and each breath felt like a visible puff of mist in the fading daylight.

Amidst this cold, a large congregation of people began to gather. They came from all walks of life, bundled in coats and scarves, their breaths forming fleeting clouds as they spoke to one another. The city seemed to buzz with anticipation, a palpable energy that hung in the air. Families arrived, parents holding the hands of their children, their faces flushed with excitement. Groups of friends huddled together, their laughter creating a warm contrast to the chilly surroundings. Even strangers exchanged knowing glances, united by a common purpose.

In a city as staid and composed as Jungjin, the sight of a massive crowd converging in one location was a rare and extraordinary phenomenon. And as the crowd continued to swell in size, it became evident that something significant was about to take place, something that had drawn people from every corner of the city to this very spot on this cold early morning. The air was charged with curiosity and expectation, as all eyes turned toward the source of the gathering.

It was a momentous day for all of them, as the long-anticipated City Park was officially unveiled, with grand aspirations to rival New York City's Central Park. The citizens of Jungjin had never dared to hope that the park would come to fruition, especially after the disgrace of the project's progenitor, the ex-mayor Shin Myeong-Hwi. Shin, along with his partners-in-crime Cho Tae-Sin, former chairman of Taesin group, and Noh Hang-Gyu, had been exposed for their criminal activities. Many had assumed the City Park project was dead and buried the moment they were arrested; however, they were surprised when the official construction resumed six months after Shin Myeong-Hwi's sentencing, drawing laborers from both within and outside the city. Rumors swirled about a wealthy benefactor who had resurrected the project, though nothing was ever officially confirmed. The local government ensured that they will closely monitor the progress to make sure that no illegal waste would be dumped at the site this time.

Now, more than three years later, the City Park's construction was complete, and the entire city of Jungjin had been invited to celebrate. Elation radiated from every face, and vendors and food stalls had sprung up throughout the park.

Among the stalls was the beloved ice cream vendor, a favorite among children and adults alike. Amid the bustling crowd of eager buyers, a young girl in a pink dress with hair tied up in ribbon pigtails emerged, clutching her newly acquired ice cream cone with sheer delight. Her happiness was palpable as she savored the sweet treat.

"Eomma!" she joyfully cried out, waving her free hand enthusiastically. A few feet away, her mother sat on a bench, cradling a baby in her arms, returning her daughter's wave with a warm smile. As the little girl began to run toward her mother, she painfully collided with a passerby, letting out a pained yelp before tumbling to the ground, ice cream splattering everywhere. Her mother's eyes widened in shock as she called out her daughter's name.

"Haeun-ya!" the mother exclaimed, rushing to her fallen child while still holding the baby. The commotion quickly drew the attention of nearby festival-goers. Ha Eun was already crying when her mother reached her, kneeling in front of her daughter surveying her elbow and knees that were bruised from the fall.

"Eomma, it hurts," Haeun sobbed, tears streaming down her face.

Her mother cradled her tightly, her worry etched across her face, before remembering the stranger who had caused her daughter's mishap. She looked up and saw the man, wearing a green varsity jacket with gray baseball hat on his head, standing over them, his presence imposing as he gazed down at them, particularly at the injured child. A hint of trepidation tugged at her as their eyes met. His gaze was devoid of emotion, devoid of remorse, it was an unsettling sight. Concerned onlookers began to gather around the mother and daughter, inquiring about their well-being.