TEENAGE STRUGGLES

★★★

In the quaint, sunlit corner of Lily's, a small flower shop nestled amidst the bustling streets of the city, a young girl named Darby sat amidst a sea of vibrant petals, lost in thought. Her slender fingers gently caressed the velvety petals of a velvety rose as she pondered new flower displays, her brow furrowed with worry. Her little haven, the florist shop she had inherited from her dear departed friend Lily, held profound significance. As the weight of mounting debt pressed heavily upon her, a sigh escaped her lips, a testament to the financial struggle that threatened to wither her beloved shop's existence. Just as the heavy silence was beginning to take hold, a shrill ring from the vintage telephone on her counter pierced the air, a stark reminder of the urgency to breathe life back into her blossoming sanctuary. She answered the phone with trepidation, not knowing that this call would set her on an unexpected journey of hope, new beginnings, and the power of flowers, as the voice of a woman named Denise resonated on the other end.

"Hello, Lily's here. Darby speaking." Darby said trying to put on a happy tone down the phone.

"Hiya! I'm just calling in order to book some personalised flowers if that would be possible?" The woman said down the phone, a smile evident.

"Yes of course, what would the event be and when would you need them...?"

"Denise! My names Denise, and I'd need them for a week and a half from now so...Friday the 23rd of September!" She replied and Darby smiled, not that Denise could see.

"Yes that's fine, would you need them delivered to a venue?" Darby asked pulling out her vintage journal full of dates and calendars.

"Yes, it's a function room in Manchester for a 17th birthday party." Denise answered and Darby hummed whilst writing the details in.

"Okay Denise is there anything you want written on them and what flowers are you looking for?" Darby smiled looking around all the different selections of flowers in her small shop.

There were varieties forevermore, unique and diverse colours of petals, roses, tulips and buds. "Well it's a boys party, my son and he is a typical seventeen year old so I just wanted flowers to lighten the mood that will flow with all of his silly friends." Denise answered and she let out a small chuckle.

"Yes Ms Bellingham, flowers make everything better!" Darby let out a laugh in awe of her newfound friendship with this customer.

"Well thank god somebody gets it, do you have children?" Denise asked pondering of topic, not that Darby cared.

"Oh no I'm only 19 maam." Darby giggled and Denise's let out a gasp. "'My my! Your very mature with your own shop. I would have never guessed, sorry I'm moving off topic!" Denise smiled through the mobile and Darby shook her head with a small hum.

"Well I could offer that you come into the shop, you could pick a variety of flowers, it's pointless me telling you them when it's about the way they look!" Darby suggested and Denise hummed.

"Yes that would be great." Denise said. "Would tomorrow at 11am work?" Darby suggested awaiting a response from Denise which took a while.

"Hm, yes I'd have to pick my son up from his training session but I'm sure he could tag along!" Denise giggled and Darby smiled; writing it in her calendar.