X. THE CABINET OF MEMORIES

___________

A rapid knocking sounded at the entrance to the Gryffindor common room. The great, cozy room was largely abandoned; most of the students had gone down to dinner. Except for Harry and Ivy; they sat on the fluffy couch in front of the smouldering fireplace, sipping on cups of steaming tea. Ivy raised her head from her cousin's shoulder, walking to the portrait of the Fat Lady. Opening it, Iris came barging in.

"What in Merlin's name does this note mean?" she asked shrilly, holding up an unfolded note. "'Me and Harry in common room—Crouch punched me in the face.'?"

Ivy fell back into the couch. Harry had already explained everything to Ron and Hermione without much trouble; the two of them had seen him through three years of dangerous trouble already. Iris was only just beginning to get involved.

"It means exactly what you think it means. Mr Crouch punched me in my face—right here," Ivy said, massaging her cheek. "Dumbledore healed it, but it's still a little sore."

Iris huffed, blocking the fireplace from Ivy's view. "Darling. You'd better tell me the entire story—right now."

And so Ivy did, Harry chiming whenever she wended too far off track. The reveal of the third task in a week, then Viktor's crush on Hermione (here, Harry interrupted), and lastly, stumbling across a neurotic Mr Crouch in the Forbidden Forest.

"You two—" Iris began, her hands on her hips. "Go see Headmaster Dumbledore immediately. And don't stop bothering him until he gives you a straight answer, alright?"

"Yes, Iris," Harry and Ivy chimed in unison.

After finishing their tea, Harry and Ivy had said goodbye to Iris and made their way to the stone gargoyle statue guarding Dumbledore's office.

"D'you know the password?" Ivy questioned.

Harry shrugged. "It might be... Sherbet Lemon?"

The gargoyle did not move.

"Okay—" Ivy glared at the statue. "Pear Drop? Liquorice Wand? Harry, are you sure it's a candy sort?"

Again, he shrugged. "Fizzing Whizbee. Drooble's Best Blowing Gum. Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Beans..." Harry continued. "Oh no, he doesn't like them, does he? Oh just open, can't you?" he said angrily. "I really need to see him, it's urgent!"

The gargoyle remained immovable. With a huff, Harry kicked the statue, achieving nothing except an excruciating pain in his big toe.

"Oh!" Ivy exclaimed. "You alright? What're you thinking kicking a statue made of solid granite?"

Harry grumbled in reply. "Chocolate frog!" he yelled angrily. "Sugar Quill!"

"Cockroach Cluster?" Ivy wondered, the disturbing candy bar springing to mind.

The gargoyle sprang to life and jumped aside.

"Oh, come on!"

"See, Harry—patience is a virtue."

"Let's just go."

They hurried through the gap in the walls and stepped onto the foot of a spiral stone staircase, which moved slowly upward as the doors closed behind them, taking them up to a polished oak door with a brass door knocker. They stopped abruptly, hearing voices coming from inside. They shared an understanding look and stepped off the staircase, their ears to the door.

"Dumbledore, I'm afraid I don't see the connection, don't see it at all!" Ivy could not recognize the voice, thus she turned to see if Harry did.

"Cornelius Fudge," he explained quickly, frowning. "Minister of Magic."